The two most important factors are versatility and simplicity. I'm barely an intermediate player, but it's so much fun. I don't mind spending good money on a great hobby.

Budget? - Practical: $2000. Limit: uhhh...higher. I can be flexible.

Genres? - I need very versatile (but simple is key...I don't want to spend more time tweaking than practicing...that's why I sold the L6 gear). Blues, Rock, Metal, Jazz. Hendrix, SRV, AC/DC, Metallica, A7X, KSE, Mayer (blues).

A few clips I really like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ishtxFZHpVc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEC8zEGe8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuUbSkblW2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jpMB5X23xY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkuDex1BuMM

New or Used? - Leaning towards new but flexible.

Home or Gig? - Home only for now. I live in a house on a corner lot, so I'm not too concerned about neighbors. I don't want to get too crazy though; cranking a 100w amp (or even a 25w) is not an option.

Closest City? - Phoenix

Current Gear? - Fender American Special (2), Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst, Epi Dot. Fender HRD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Bluesbreaker pedal clone, Line 6 M13. All guitars have stock pickups.

I'm really leaning toward a Marshall JVM205C because It seems like it can do all of what I want, especially so with the M13 and any other pedals...yes? Any compelling reasons NOT to get the JVM?
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Am Axe Fx is going to be EVEN more fiddling with knobs then the line 6 dt25 was. I think you are crazy for selling the DT25. I would of kept it and then of bought an Channel 1, Channel 2 type of footswitch, and just used the M13 for effects.
Your Marshall is a good choice for sure, except for the fact that you stated cranking a 100W or even a 25W amp was not a possibility, the JVM205C is a 50W combo so to get that power amp Marshall crunch you will need to run it loud. This could be fixed with something like a THD hotplate but then your adding more onto your final cost. Maybe a lunchbox amp would be more up your alley because in the 5-20 watt range you are perfect for home and even some small gigs, mic it up and you possibilities are limitless. I personally own a Marshall Haze 15W head and cab combo, it ran me about $1000 and it gets me all those sexy Marshall tones without making the neighbours call the cops! This could be a great area for you to check out.

-Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
-Marshall Haze 15
-Orange Tiny Terror
-Orange Dark Terror
-Vox Night Train
-Mesa Trans Atlantic
-Mesa Mini Rectifier
-Dr Z MAZ18 Jr
-Blackheart Handsome Devil
-Blackstar HT Studio 20

Just be cautious and test your Line6 M13 with what ever amp you really have your heart set on before you buy it or you could be depressed. I used to own a Line6 POD XT and when I brought home my Marshall it did not sound good through it at all. The sound was very sterile, dry and heavily compressed, the Haze 15 does not have a effects loop either.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Thanks for the responses so far. Keep them coming please.

I've seen in a few places where people just put a volume pedal in the effects loop and say it does help without sacrificing too much tone. I figured I'd do that if it works fairly well. Attenuator could be an option too but, and it's almost embarrassing to say, but I want to keep the setup looking pretty clean too. The amp going to be in the living room where visitors and I hang out. They say it looks like a magazine cover in there lol. Anyway I don't really want a bunch of gadgets out in the open (although a pedalboard would be fine...I'd just want to keep it looking clean).
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
You do love you some Mesa, huh?

I actually like a lot that I've heard out of Mesas, but not sure about SRV, Hendrix, blues, etc out of a Rec model....
Guitars

Amps
A bit

But umm the mini rec is a great amp IMO. O played one over the weekend, and it seems to do the full out recto sound no problem, but it can also pull off nice cleans and other sounds that arets necessarily "recto" sounds.

Also the 10w feature really helps in lowering headroom

Im kind of considering a mini rec too, so im a bit biased.

But try one, not eeryone likes rectosto begin with
5150 3?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
5150 3?

This is probably one of the amps that you could get that would do all those without too much tweaking.

Otherwise, I'd look at the Randall RM100 with Blackface, Mash-All and Dreadplate (Salvation Mods) modules.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I wouldn't rule out 50Wish amps, as I do use the aforementioned volume pedal/volume box mod with really nice results. I think an amp that has a switch for wattage would be good, you can turn it to a lower wattage for a little more power tube crunch, or keep it higher for more headroom. Then use the volume pedal/box to ratchet back the volume to the point where it's not shaking the walls and buggin' the neighbors.

Granted, the volume box won't help you get more power tube distortion, but it will help keep things quiet.

You could also try some of those newish Eminence speakers with the adjustable dB rate, as I've heard that makes driving the speaker harder, and therefore quieter (I guess).

Hope that helps!
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
The JVM is great, and the brilliant thing with the JVM is that it actually sounds good at low volumes
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Yeah, I keep reading that the JVM sounds suprisingly good at low volumes. EVH is another intriguing option (going to see Van Halen in June, btw).

Although there have been a few pretty good options presented, I'm still leaning towards the Marshall. I've heard very little bad about them (other than some consider them a bit overpriced). Trigger finger getting itchy....
Guitars

Amps
How about a Landry LS100? It sounds great, maybe you can find one used.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Not like you need to crank modern high gain amps. If you're looking for nice cleans, bluesy overdrive, Metallica and the darker sounding newer metal... all in 1 amp? I'd probably start looking at a used roadking/roadster or use mark V. Obviously, the part of not wanting to fiddle around will probably make you not want any of those 3 amps

A 5150 III + overdrive might be able to get most of the types of tones you want? Channel 1 for cleans, pop the OD for a little dirt (blues), chan-2 for your GnR type hard rock, boost it for earlier Metallica and then chan3 (+od) for your modern metal sound?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
it may be a little more tweaking (ok alot more tweaking) than you want but in addition to the 5153 mini ill suggest the v3m. its one hell of an amp in a nice little package. and they are relatively cheap. that amp will get you every tone you want and more.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. You've all provided plenty of good alternatives to the JVM. I checked out tons of reviews and YouTube clips of the Mini Rec (pretty sweet little amp) and EVH amps (too bad there's no combo...nice though). I also checked out some Splawn stuff and that very nearly made me change my mind. The Street Rod looks damned sexy. But none of them have quite managed to pull me away from going with my original plan so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 205C.
Guitars

Amps
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Feb 16, 2012,
If you're willing to stretch your budget quite a bit, get a Mesa Road King. That amp can literally do everything. I think the heads go for $2600, you could probably find them cheaper on ebay.

Although, I have to point out, that your whole intent is a bit of an oxymoron. An amp can't really be versatile and simple at the same time. It just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Oh, I'm too late
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Haha. That's ok; thanks for your input anyway. The RoadKing does seem like a great amp. You wouldn't say it's simple to use though? The JVM seems pretty straightforward. A lot easier than scrolling through setup screens, figuring out input/output modes, and dealing with buggy software at least. Don't get me wrong, the DT25 on its own was pretty close to what I wanted (I probably should've stuck with it longer like pg.inc music said), but the HD500 was the hassle. Good gear overall though IMO.
Guitars

Amps
I've been through a ton of amps and effects over the past 5 years while actively gigging with several classic rock/variety bands in Northern VA. In my current band, I am the only guitar player, and I found that my Egnater-based rig wasn't delivering the range of clean and distorted tones that I needed. I therefore decided to try the HD500, which sounded good through the Egnater, but lacked the immediacy I was used to with a guitar amp. I also wasn't happy with the tone of the HD500 connected directly to the PA console. But I felt that the amp sims on the HD500 were pretty realistic, and I liked the effects and the control capabilities.

So, I decided to try the DT25. To make a long story short, the addition of the DT25 to the HD500 has been a major turning point for me. I am finally able to achieve the full range of tones on stage that I've wanted for so long. The cleans through the Egnater rig always sounded good, but I couldn't get the distortions to sound the way I wanted. With the DT25/HD500 system, I'm getting the amazing clean and distorted tones I've always wanted on stage!

Plus, I am using the XLR direct out from the back of the DT25 to feed the PA board, and that is working out really well too. For my purposes, the HD500/DT25 system is an amazing good sounding, compact, and convenient rig. It's certainly making the live shows a lot more fun for me!

Pete
The thing is you are looking for lots of versatility so you will have to sacrifice some straight-forward simplicity. I've heard the Sig-X is a nice versatile amp and simple to use. I usually tend to recommend the RA I have but I don't think it's gonna nail all of the stuff you want. The BEST option IMHO would be the already mentioned Royal King. Good luck!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Am Axe Fx is going to be EVEN more fiddling with knobs then the line 6 dt25 was. I think you are crazy for selling the DT25. I would of kept it and then of bought an Channel 1, Channel 2 type of footswitch, and just used the M13 for effects.

Yeah, you really should have kept the Dt25.

You want something that will do everything pretty much, and thats about the simplest solution other than buying like 10 amps
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
And yes, the DT25 was aimed for your needs, I still don't understand really well why you got rid of it. Maybe you didn't like it how it sounded?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans