e---14-------------14--
B-------14--17b19------

all 4 notes are 16th notes in 100 bpm
how would you do the picking for this part?
is it UP, UP, DOWN, UP? or is it simply UP, Down, UP, Down?
Last edited by Yekex at Feb 15, 2012,
I would pick it like this:
"Down, Up, Down, Up"

Try it slowly, and then get it up to tempo.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
I'd probably do up up down up..

It doesnt matter though, which ever way you practice it, is the way your gonna play it best.. See which one feels most natural to you, and just practice it..
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
really doesn't matter first way is like a start to a sweep whichever u like better go for it. dont be a noob though and pick the 14 and 17 individually, hammer on and bend to the F#
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
dont be a noob though and pick the 14 and 17 individually, hammer on and bend to the F#

hitting two notes does ot make him a noob
op depeds on the notes before it bbut just by picking up my guitar i played it
up up down down
Last edited by supersac at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
dont be a noob though and pick the 14 and 17 individually, hammer on and bend to the F#

it sounds a bit weak with the hammer on.

I think I'll do down up down up. it seemed stupid at first but not hard to get used to
thanks
Last edited by Yekex at Feb 15, 2012,
I'd prob alternate that. That would be down up down up.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Down Down Down. I only had to pick 3 times.
16ths at 100bpm is quite slow so I could down pick, and I legatoed the rest of it.
Have fun.
METAL!
There's a lot of opportunities here, mentioned above. But I think you just should be exprementing and pick it the way that feel best for you. I would down picked them all.
What a noob lol seriously not a hard section play how u want, in an up tempo i would just play all one that's just my preference though.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
What a noob lol seriously not a hard section play how u want, in an up tempo i would just play all one that's just my preference though.

What makes him a noob? That's right, nothing. He simply would like our input on this, cause he's not sure himself. And such section might be hard, you don't know how long he's been playing.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

dude, i could probably play it in any combination if I practice it enough.
I just wanted to know how people think it should be played.
I'm completely self-taught, and thought there would be a rule for this.
People gave me different kind of answers and now I know that with these kind of licks which are trickier to pick, I'll just have to go with what feels best.
I don't care how good of a guitarist I am, because I don't want to be a good guitarist based on how well I can shred like a ****ing robot. And I don't personally know anyone who's better than me, so there's nowhere else I can ask stuff about guitar playing.

You say on your profile that you like The Black Keys and the White Stripes.
I'm shocked someone who enjoys that kind of music makes such retarded posts here.
Last edited by Yekex at Feb 16, 2012,
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

play nice in future
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
are you capable of typing in English?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd play it Down, Up, Down, Down. If I was not being strict on my picking
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
yeah, its just easier u know

You sure? I love arguments. You seem to lack the ability to type proper grammar, spelling, and phrases. If you would kindly type in proper English we can establish the fact you have had an educational lesson about the English language.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I don't understand why it really matters. I guess if it makes people content I will capitalize the first letter of my sentences. Thank god for the grammar police on forums.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

Dude... If someone's asking for advice on something, ^^^ is not helpful... lets try not to be a jerk here... if anybody's a noob here its you, cause you apparently have not learned how to play well with others.

Anyways

To answer the question, I would say that there are many ways to do it, but this is the point at which you start defining your own technique, you figure out which is most comfortable for you, which doesn't mean you'll get it, it'll take repetition, and practice, do it slowly until you can hit it accurately and build speed from there. but there is not "Right" way to do it, like I said before, this is where you start defining your own technique. Good Luck!
Can we have something kind of like the Pit has where we ban the least helpful user for a month? We could nominate users based on extraordinarily bad posts and then vote for who needs to go for the week. That might help keep people from making troll posts and keep things civil.
Quote by Geldin
Can we have something kind of like the Pit has where we ban the least helpful user for a month? We could nominate users based on extraordinarily bad posts and then vote for who needs to go for the week. That might help keep people from making troll posts and keep things civil.

Cool story brah

You shouldn't hijack threads. Go make your own lolol.

I think we should ban Geldin for a week for hijacking this poor, poor, poor man's thread.

I'm a good troll, notice the lolol, that is what makes a good troll
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
pssh. Everyone knows it's the loopy arms are the true definition of good trolls.

I think I just like to devolve into useless chatting and debating when I feel like TS's question has been answered thoroughly. His question got answered pretty definitively within the first three non-troll posts.

Unrelated, but wasn't there a thread with this same lick that you and I got talking about Randy Rhoads in last night? 'cause I thought this was that one, so I was a little quicker to go right to chat-mode.

[GELDIT]
Never mind. It was indeed a Rhoads lick, but it was definitely a very different lick.

TS, refer to the first couple non-troll posts for your answer or just pick it however is most comfortable for you. Personally, I'd use up-down-up-down, but you could do down-up-down-up instead. Whichever works best for you.
Last edited by Geldin at Feb 22, 2012,