I'm looking at buying a Peavey 5150 and the guy told me the preamp and possibly the actual amp itself will need new tubes. I have no idea what to do. I don't know jack about tubes/retubing/biasing/what to look for/what to buy/good prices. Help.
Quote by x_Hezee_x

My favorite bands are: Nickleback, Staind, Green Day, Disturbed and many more. I also like Songs that are being used in the WWE.

So gimme a shout out! im really looking for a Guitar Buddy
The 5150 doesn't need to be biased. You can modify it so that it can be biased, which often helps it sound better, but it's not strictly necessary.

As far as tubes, you'll need a matched quad of 6L6 tubes and 5 12AX7 preamp tubes.
You can look here for a general idea of what you'll need:
http://thetubestore.com/peavey-5150.html
The JJ power tubes are listed as the "cheapest," but they're very good power tubes. I'd use those instead of a more expensive option. As for preamp tubes, you need to decide how you'd like to tweak the sound. JJ preamp tubes are quite dark, Tung-sol are on the bright side, Sovtek are balanced but not as harmonically rich. Electro-harmonix are bassy but not very clear. If you're unsure, you can get a mix and try them in different sockets on the preamp. A good place to start would be 4 Sovteks (the 4 preamp tubes closest to the power tubes have much less effect on the tone), a JJ 12AX7 and a Tung-Sol 12AX7.