Hello,
I'm planning to buy myself a new amp... I play metal.. mostly thrash, death/melodeath..

Marshall MG30DFX
or
Vox AD 50VT XL

Which one's the better ??

I've heard that MG series of Marshall broke after few months.. So I'm afraid of wasting my money..

Can you suggest me ? I need it for home playing
Last edited by v4np3rs13 at Feb 15, 2012,
no one here will recommend the mg series. My drummer uses one when he plays guitar. While I won't say it sounds good at all, I will say he has had it for a really ling time with no issues.

That is about all it has going for it...
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Had a Vox VT for a year or so, it was a good amp, versatile and sounded pretty decent as long as you put some time into playing with the settings. I also had an MG15. Not so good. Fine for home practice, but not a nice sounding amp
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
If the question is, "MG or something else?" the answer is usually, "something else." This case is no exception.
If you are playing metal get neither, go for a Vyper instead. If you are playing rock and/or blues then It's a toss-up between the VT and a Fender Mustang. The MG is not a contender at all regardless.
It's not that the MG's are less reliable, they just sound really bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have had a Marshall MG250dfx for quite a while. It had issues under waranty, got it fixed, and has broken about 4 times since then. It doesnt even sound good to make up for it. Last time it broke I tackeld it into a wall. Now I am buying a different amp.
EDIT: 6 years with an MG, I gave it a good go. Waiting on my Egnater to come in.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
I definitely wouldn't suggest a Marshall MG, but for metal I wouldn't suggest the Vox either. For the kind of music you're playing, the Vypyr would be a good fit. Also, if you could give us a budget and location we might be able to find a good used amp.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I should make a thread asking for a recommendation between the MG and the Spider IV...just for kicks.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
You should take your guitar to a store and try them both, then decide for yourself.

This is always the only real solution. We cannot know what your opinion will be, only what our opinions are.

My opinion:
MG - not as bad as some people claim, but definitely not good.
Vox - Good amp, but possibly not the right choice for you if you're playing thrash etc.

Out of the two I'd choose the Vox, but I'm not you. Get to a shop and try everything they have and pick the one that suits you the best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by 812many
I have had a Marshall MG250dfx for quite a while. It had issues under waranty, got it fixed, and has broken about 4 times since then. It doesnt even sound good to make up for it. Last time it broke I tackeld it into a wall. Now I am buying a different amp.
EDIT: 6 years with an MG, I gave it a good go. Waiting on my Egnater to come in.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE!!! MUHWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I have an MG30DFX still, and I can 3 good things about that amp:

1. They take a beating. That thing has been through hell and back and doesn't give a shit, it keeps on trucking. THe other guitarist in my band has a Spider III, and it fell about 3 feet off of a ledge we set our amps on for practice and is worthless now. My MG has been dropped, kicked, beat around, sat on, had things sat on it, fallen off of shit, and it is still kicking.

(the funniest thing about that to me is that he had a Spider III 15w and I had an MG30...the two worst mainstream amps available...of course, now he has a Mesa Rectoverb and a Fender Blues Junior as his practice amp and I have my Vengeance )

2. The clean channel isn't too bad. It's just above decent. Nothing special, but not bad. It takes pedals alright. I redeemed it with my TL-2 and adding a 10-Band to it for the time period where I was waiting for my Jet City, then cancelled that order and waited on my Egnater made it usable for metal. If my amp had a Mid knob for the clean channel, it probably would have been pretty good (in terms of SS amps)

3. The effects weren't completely worthless. I've used amps where the effects are just dumb and sound horrible. These weren't really over the top unless everything was on "10" and they sounded decent enough.

That's all it was good for. The OD channel was absolutely worthless, muddy, lifeless, and sounded nothing like a Marshall or anything else for that matter.

Get a Peavey Vypyr. It's that simple. If you can afford it, go for the Tube 60, if not, get the biggest SS one you can.