So I got in to Tech Music School (London) for a Diploma in Commercial Music Performance.

Originally planning on going in October. However, I found out there's no funding except bank loans which I want to avoid.

The course is £5450, rent is £2000 a month (between four people), so for ten months rent it's around £5000. The biggest loan I can get (if I even get accepted for it) is £10,000. I will only be able to save around £1500 on my hours and there is no other work going locally.

In short: I can't afford it.

Is there any sort of funding I can get for this course? It's a one year diploma and Student Finance don't offer financial help for it.
Arrange the deaths of any wealthy relatives

Seriously though, the way unis are funded in the UK now is totally fucked, and I really have no suggestions other than moving to the Netherlands.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Last edited by McTodd at Feb 15, 2012,
Prostitution.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Work full or part time to help pay or save up for a year then do it next year.

The school may offer deferred payments or another payment plan.

Is that normal housing cost because that's an outrageous amount to pay per month.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
...get a job.

I don't wanna hear the "there are no jobs" bullshit either.
Quote by .Joker.
...get a job.

I don't wanna hear the "there are no jobs" bullshit either.

I have a job but the pay and hours are crap, plus I pay out quite a lot for rent each month.
defer for a year and save? im currently looking for €70,000 to do a PhD so I know how you feel
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Are you talking about the Career Development Loan?
Look carefully into that, you might not get it all and be mindful about the ins/outs of how you pay it back... it's not a student loan.

But the simple answer is... get a job? Get one now, even a part time one, and by autumn you'll have a decent amount to get you through it.

Actually... scrap that. Why are you paying £10k to do music tech? Get an apprenticeship and work your way up with experience. I know that the field is really really crowded, and employers prefer experience than qualifications.
Try get a basic job at a rental company or something.
Last edited by vitchb at Feb 15, 2012,
Erm, Government student loan? Are they not available for that school?
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by vitchb
Are you talking about the Career Development Loan?
Look carefully into that, you might not get it all and be mindful about the ins/outs of how you pay it back... it's not a student loan.

But the simple answer is... get a job? Get one now, even a part time one, and by autumn you'll have a decent amount to get you through it.

I am talking about that loan, yes.

And as I have said, I have a job but the hours and pay aren't that great. I have a lot going out each month and would not be able to save a decent or helpful amount of money. I live in a small town and do not drive so other jobs are very few and far between.
Quote by Dawginator
Erm, Government student loan? Are they not available for that school?

Not for diploma's or foundation degree's there isn't.

Unfortunately TS, this is the problem you face when going to an institute for a diploma or degree, you get no, or very little funding from the government. If none of your family can help with the money situation, then your only option is to defer a year and save some money.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I am talking about that loan, yes.

And as I have said, I have a job but the hours and pay aren't that great. I have a lot going out each month and would not be able to save a decent or helpful amount of money. I live in a small town and do not drive so other jobs are very few and far between.

Hmm, defer, try and find sponsors or relatives to support.
are you planning on working during term time? have you thought about selling your stuff?
deferring is also a good idea
I'm on all sorts of government help and even get my paycheck from working at the University from the government... It's quite nice
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Quote by AdamG313
Not for diploma's or foundation degree's there isn't.

Unfortunately TS, this is the problem you face when going to an institute for a diploma or degree, you get no, or very little funding from the government. If none of your family can help with the money situation, then your only option is to defer a year and save some money.

Huh...thought they would cover that too. Ah well, I learnt something today then.

All I could recommend is work until September spending really very little, then get a loan from a bank, or something like that.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Get a better job or multiple jobs, ask for parents to pitch in, work hard to get scholarships.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Fucking move? If you're paying that much for rent, look for someone to go in with or something. Even working the shittiest jobs, you should be able to save some money each month. Work out a payment plan with the school if at all possible.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
So I got in to Tech Music School (London) for a Diploma in Commercial Music Performance.

Originally planning on going in October. However, I found out there's no funding except bank loans which I want to avoid.

The course is £5450, rent is £2000 a month (between four people), so for ten months rent it's around £5000. The biggest loan I can get (if I even get accepted for it) is £10,000. I will only be able to save around £1500 on my hours and there is no other work going locally.

In short: I can't afford it.

Is there any sort of funding I can get for this course? It's a one year diploma and Student Finance don't offer financial help for it.

That sucks!
I used Student Finance for my degree. I regret it big time. I have debts for the next 10 years now
Je grattes ma gratte...
Quote by CrossBack7
Fucking move? If you're paying that much for rent, look for someone to go in with or something. Even working the shittiest jobs, you should be able to save some money each month. Work out a payment plan with the school if at all possible.

Did you read his post? He already lives with 3 other people.

Not living in London I don't know exact rates, but I do know living costs are very expensive.

TS: all i can recommend is defer for a year and work through it.