Hey guys! I've been jamming alone, and I've got myself a really nice riff. The chords were A D G, mixed up a little. I've been playing it, kind of a no-brainer with a huge overdrive, so everything is major... Now, my question is - how do I determine which key is that? I got this feeling that it's an A, but the most played chord is D, and well, I really have no idea how to determine at all. Can anyone help me?
Well, obviously, but it's kind of hard to train your ear if you have no idea where to start from, aye?
Well the thing is that it starts with an A, ends with an A, but in between it's mostly a D. The thing is I have no idea what the key for the lead guitar solo should be.
Well with D being the V in the key of G major I would argue that it is likely to sound most resolved on the G. Obviously the most concrete way of being able to tell where feels 'home' would be to hear what you are playing.

edit: I was assuming that the chord progression was A D G, in that order.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by eyalcisv
Well, obviously, but it's kind of hard to train your ear if you have no idea where to start from, aye?

Sorry.

Begin with the notes of the major scale. Listen to the notes and what they feel like. Sing them. Then take out your guitar, play the 7 chords of the major scale and note what each chord feels like. Then play all 7 notes over each and every chord and notice how each note feels in relation to the chord you're on. The benefits to training your ear in this manner are literally infinite.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dpGmAc3kMk

This is a pretty good video lol.
Last edited by Sóknardalr at Feb 15, 2012,
Probably a

V - I - IV in D major

If you play it once then you hear a resolution on G but if you carry on it certainly resolves on D once it come back round.
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Feb 15, 2012,
TS, are you playing major chords, or power chords?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's A mixolydian.
The notes of each chord are A, C# E....D F# A and G B D
put them together and you get A B C# D E F# G which is A mixolydian.
You might recognise that scale as D major, but starting on the A, which it is.
If mode theory goes over your head, just use any D major scale shapes you know (major pentatonics work well too) or the relative minor, B.
So Greg, what you're saying is:

1. The progression resolves to A major or A major 7.

2. You can't borrow chords from the parallel minor/major, without the progression becoming modal.

3. You can only use chords in a key that are diatonic to it's parent scale.

Right?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
So Greg, what you're saying is:

1. The progression resolves to A major or A major 7.

2. You can't borrow chords from the parallel minor/major, without the progression becoming modal.

3. You can only use chords in a key that are diatonic to it's parent scale.

Right?

OP asked what scale he can use over a simple three chord progression. If you want to analyse it some other way, that's fine. I never said you CAN'T do something because music theory says so.
Quote by Greg Trotter
It's A mixolydian.
If mode theory goes over your head, just use any D major scale shapes you know (major pentatonics work well too) or the relative minor, B.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It doesn't even come close to resolving on A. Not modal at all either. I hear it as a very simple progression in D major. Just because A is the first chord in the progression doesn't mean it's in A.

Maybe if they're played as powerchords then A minor could be argued.
Well I have no idea what the riff OP actually wrote, so maybe it is in D.
I saw that he wrote "A D G" so just assumed that was the order of the progression. If so, that's A mixolydian.
I was warned that UG was full of retards who don't know shit...
Quote by Greg Trotter
I was warned that UG was full of retards who don't know shit...

Why add to the pile then ?

What key is this progression in ?

C#dim - A major - F#minor - Bminor
Quote by mrbabo91

What key is this progression in ?

C#dim - A major - F#minor - Bminor

Let me guess...you want me to say C# Locrian, and you'll argue Bm, right?

What about this chord progression: C Dm Bb C
F?
C major with a borrowed chord from the parrallel minor?
C mixolydian?

Does it even matter?
Mode war starting in 5... 4... 3... 2...
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Quote by Greg Trotter
What about this chord progression: C Dm Bb C F?

If that's the chord progression, it's F major. Very similar to All Over You by Live.

If it was just C Dm Bb C, more likely to be in Dm, similar to the introduction of All Along the Watchtower.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
If that's the chord progression, it's F major. Very similar to All Over You by Live.

If it was just C Dm Bb C, more likely to be in Dm, similar to the introduction of All Along the Watchtower.

The chord progression was just C Dm Bb C....no F chord.
I can see the M word is a dirty word on these forums.
Quote by Greg Trotter
It's A mixolydian.

How the hell do you pull a mode out of your arse without a melody?

I understand the grey area between CST and modes, I understand how people get hung up on giving fancy names to shapes when they function as something different - but this is just 3 chords and the TS asked what key it was, are you really that desperate to use your fancy magic names?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
With just those chords listed and no other information then it is most likely in the key of D.

It really depends on how it sounds. Record it and post a clip. Then we can help you out whole lot more.

It could be any of those chords depending on how you "mix them up a little".
Si
Quote by Greg Trotter
Let me guess...you want me to say C# Locrian, and you'll argue Bm, right?

What about this chord progression: C Dm Bb C
F?
C major with a borrowed chord from the parrallel minor?
C mixolydian?

Does it even matter?

It does matter because you are throwing around fancy terms when you don't need to and it may end up confusing a lot of people.

I would say that progression is in F major