Poll: Are EPs important to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are EPs important to you?
Yes
42 34%
No
6 5%
Depends on the artist
21 17%
Depends on the content on the EP
55 44%
Voters: 124.
Page 1 of 3
So I just checked out Burial's new ep Kindred yesterday and I am blown away. This EP is absolutely beautiful and chilling. That got me to thinking about the importance of EPs as a whole.

Some artists use EPs to release B-Sides or singles and are more of a promotional release, while others use EPs to release new songs they don't think would fit on an upcoming album. Sometimes artists just want to release an EP just to release an EP and have a small entity that feels complete rather than an album that would drag this otherwise good release too long.

EPs get shoved to the side by some and are seen as unimportant, while others collect every EP of an artist they like and feel incomplete without them.

What are your thoughts on EPs? Are they necessary? Do they complete a collection or are they just filler released in between full albums?
some EPs are ****ing terrible like periphery's

some are alright though like the gleam ii
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I like EPs because they give me an excuse not to write a whole album worth of material.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i love EPs. they're some of my favorite releases from bands i like.

anyone who says otherwise can jump off a bridge.
I'm not a collector, I don't have any EP's to be fair. Might need to buy The Blinding by Babyshambles though.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sometimes artists just want to release an EP just to release an EP and have a small entity that feels complete rather than an album that would drag this otherwise good release too long.

If they're like this, then they complete a collection. Otherwise, the only reason to have the preview/promo ones are for douchy fanboy bragging rights.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
I have a short attention span, even when it comes to bands I adore. EP's are awesome.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I favor EPs.

They are usually more coherent and focused. Where as a band may be tempted to put one or two filler songs to make a full album as long as it needs to be.

I only really like EPs that have some content different than the LPs though. In most cases. Electronic groups are often like this. As long as it's not just loaded with remixes.

I find extreme metal EPs to be much more intense than many albums. And often have more interesting artwork too.

I don't care for promos and singles one bit. But they aren't really EPs.
I don't buy EP's, but I like them.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Some EPs are great. Some are not great.

I like them more when they're not just B-Sides from the last album though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
EPs are awesome.

If I didn't listen to EPs, there are quite a few artists that I listen to that I would be missing out on big time. The Tallest Man on Earth and Frank Turner, to name a few, have spectacular EPs.
Giant Squid's new EP is awesome, rivals their last full length. So long as it's new content I don't see how it can be a bad thing.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
skrillex's ep is the only material that he has out, that isnt mediocre. his other songs are kinda lame. so i guess you only need one ep to get famous

on the other hand, if youv released material that can no longer excede the speed of light, btbam, and release an ep to take it down a notch, thats ok in my book
I think it has a lot to do with why they released the EP instead of an album. If they're using it as a promotional release for something else, they're usually not a priority.

For fans of Punk and Alternative Rock, EPs are sometimes half of a band's discography if not more.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
So I just checked out Burial's new ep Kindred yesterday and I am blown away. This EP is absolutely beautiful and chilling. That got me to thinking about the importance of EPs as a whole.

It's good innit

Very important to me and to electronic music. Most electronic producers release more ep's than lp's because they write so many tunes. And ep's give you a good insight of what's to come.
Quote by Duffman123
It's good innit

Very important to me and to electronic music. Most electronic producers release more ep's than lp's because they write so many tunes. And ep's give you a good insight of what's to come.

Oh it's incredible
It makes the wait to his eventual follow up of Untrue so much more exciting. He's experimenting with so many layers and depths now, and his use of samples has improved so much. He's one of the most consistent electronic artists I've ever heard.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Oh it's incredible
It makes the wait to his eventual follow up of Untrue so much more exciting. He's experimenting with so many layers and depths now, and his use of samples has improved so much. He's one of the most consistent electronic artists I've ever heard.

I don't agree tbh I've found that his sampling isn't as good as it was for fear of copyright infringement, I mean this guy was sampling very popular rnb records. No album will hit me as hard emotionally as Untrue did, I'm still not sure how he does it. I prefer his darker stuff as well. But yeah still a great fantastic ep lol

I can pm you similar producers if you like, I have a big list lol.
Quote by Duffman123
I don't agree tbh I've found that his sampling isn't as good as it was for fear of copyright infringement, I mean this guy was sampling very popular rnb records. No album will hit me as hard emotionally as Untrue did, I'm still not sure how he does it. I prefer his darker stuff as well. But yeah still a great fantastic ep lol

why aren't you in the footie thread. Don't pretend to be here for the music.
I'd much rather have 15-25 minutes of pure gold than 45 minutes of pure gold watered down with shit.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
why aren't you in the footie thread. Don't pretend to be here for the music.

I haven't been following footie enough this season to visit the footie thread and discuss pointless info

And I come here for the laughs, and since there never are any I talk about mundane shit like music to compensate.
Quote by Duffman123

Oh yeah Untrue hasn't been beaten yet. I love his samples now as well as they're more indistinguishable. In the song Kindred, it's just syllables pieced together to sound animalistic and it adds to the beat (I don't think this would work for every song but it does for this one). Nothing will beat his sampling on the songs Untrue and Near Dark, though. So cool.

For sure! That'd be great. Thanks, man.
Quote by Duffman123
I haven't been following footie enough this season to visit the footie thread and discuss pointless info

And I come here for the laughs, and since there never are any I talk about mundane shit like music to compensate.

but... but arsenal are getting thrashed by Milan. 3-0.
TS used 'EP' 10 times in the OP

Back on topic, for me, it really depends on the artist.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Inb4 Jetfuel mentions Senor and the Queen by Gaslight
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by MusicMan24
TS used 'EP' 10 times in the OP

What do want, an award for being able to count or something?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Depends on the material.
I've been listening to BTBAM's The Parallax ep a lot recently and love it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Not at all. The entire concept is kind of foreign to me. In fact, I don't really see the value of even a regular LP.

Albums are a collection of tracks, but most of these tracks have nothing to do with each other, both in subject matters and musical ideas. So there's really no articulate purpose for packaging all these different pieces of music together except for convenience of delivery. I think most artists, especially in the Internet age, should release every track as an independent work.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not at all. The entire concept is kind of foreign to me. In fact, I don't really see the value of even a regular LP.

Albums are a collection of tracks, but most of these tracks have nothing to do with each other, both in subject matters and musical ideas. So there's really no articulate purpose for packaging all these different pieces of music together except for convenience of delivery. I think most artists, especially in the Internet age, should release every track as an independent work.

I honestly can't recall the last time I purchased and album (or EP for that matter) that didn't "work" as a cohesive unit all the way through. Maybe you're just listening to the wrong contemporary music

In any case, most artists do release every track independently, since many of them distribute their work through iTunes and Amazon.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I love EP's. For example, An Endless Sporadic had a great EP with Ameliorate, and I think it's much better than their whole album.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Das_Skittles
I honestly can't recall the last time I purchased and album (or EP for that matter) that didn't "work" as a cohesive unit all the way through. Maybe you're just listening to the wrong contemporary music

In any case, most artists do release every track independently, since many of them distribute their work through iTunes and Amazon.

Yeah I agree with all this, whenever artists write an album they write an album, not just a collection of random songs. Of course there are albums where "most of these tracks have nothing to do with each other, both in subject matters and musical ideas", but they are usually received negatively because of that.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I will assume you are not serious. No one can be this stupid to be honest.
Not even you. Don't know what kind of albums you've listened to, to come to this hilarious idea. Best of albums?
Quote by Das_Skittles
But what, specifically, about it "works"? Like I said, articulate purpose, meaning there are definite, tangible aspects of the music that binds everything together in a way that every track belongs exclusively in that collection and order.

I'm referring to artists with recording deals.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd never been into them, but I picked up Señor and The Queen and loved it. I'd like to get some others, but a lot of bands I'm into don't do many EPs. It's like a bite sized album I love it.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Don't know what kind of albums you've listened to, to come to this hilarious idea. Best of albums?

You make it sound like it's uncommon for them to be arbitrary, so I'll just use a common album for reference. How are all of the tracks in Nirvana's Nevermind connected?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

I actually disagree with you about something

While there are albums that are simply a collection of songs with no similarities and stuff, there are plenty that at least have a similar theme. It's no coincidence that albums with at least a glimmer of a concept are usually the best ones.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
EP's are just as susceptible to great triumph or great failure as albums or singles are, it's simply that EPs don't get as much as attention.

Nothing's necessary, but I think EPs can serve as a great vehicle for artists to release a number of songs that wouldn't fit on an album, or would be to obnoxious/bothersome/expensive to release all of them as singles and b-sides.

For example, Jens Lekman's most recent EP, he tells us, was a collection of new songs that he wanted to release but would not fit well in the context of his upcoming album. He called it a "taste of what's not to come". They're great songs, and his audience wants them, but not at the expense of adulterating the cohesiveness/integrity of his album.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Page 1 of 3