I'm looking at a used tele on ebay, it's going pretty cheap (even though there is still about a day left, but even so) and i wanna make sure that if i do get it, it's actually a real one and not a fake. How can i tell?

Here are the pics:

Here is some info he puts with it too:

*Serial is Z4015940 (typo above sorry!) Postage currently UK only. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 15-Feb-12 at 15:35:07 GMT, seller added the following information:

Re: "The guitar is about 5 years old".

The guitar is in fact 7 years old. Sorry about the confusion but I couldn't remember when I bought it, I could only remember that it was in the mid 00's. An ebay member has informed me that the Z4 serials date back to 2004 so it is likely around then or a little later that I bought it. I did buy it new however and it's only myself that has owned it - just to clarify. Thanks

So what do you think? is it a real used telecaster and it's just going cheap?
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Feb 15, 2012,
looks good, serial number checks out...

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Not a lot of fake Fenders being made right now. Most of the fakes are Gibson copies at the moment. The bigger danger with Fenders is getting a MIA neck on a MIM body. Much less detectable.

It looks legit to me, but this is also the reason buying on eBay might not be a great idea. Even if it's not a fake, it could still be a crap guitar and you won't know until it's too late.
It looks real enough, most likely a Standard Series, though I guess it could be an old Highway 1 (which would make more sense with the wear on the body, but I can't remember if the used the individual saddles in 04, and if they were using the nitro lacquer of the newer ones yet).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Roc8995
Not a lot of fake Fenders being made right now. Most of the fakes are Gibson copies at the moment. The bigger danger with Fenders is getting a MIA neck on a MIM body. Much less detectable.

It looks legit to me, but this is also the reason buying on eBay might not be a great idea. Even if it's not a fake, it could still be a crap guitar and you won't know until it's too late.

Can't agree with this enough. Always play the exact guitar you plan on buying before you buy.
I'd say it could be very real, but I thought Fender American Standards came with locking tuners? Probably a highway one, which would explain the low price, but I personally like highway ones. That is one sexy tele and good luck.
weird. it kind of looks like a hwy 1, but it has a little more sheen to it than the hw1's have. it looks kind of dull (could be a lack of buffing) to be an american standard.

but instruments do get dirty.

what i would advise would would be to get some pictures in more natural light. IMO he is trying to be a photographer and make it artsy. but that isn't what to look at when you are buying a guitar. looks like the levels of the color and stuff may have been added in from photo shop. ask for different pics in different lighting.

also, i really wouldn't worry about it being fake, i have never seen (nor heard of that i can remember) that has been fake.'

it looks legit, the mid-gloss is kind of weird though. maybe he buffed the nitro on the HWY1 out to some form of sheen, i don't know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/