I'm looking at basically setting up a one man band recording area, I have my interface and recording DAW, guitars, microphones, cables etc, but I don't know how to make good drums on my computer. is there a program I can use to do this? I experimented with using guitar pro to make a midi drum track and then ran it through ezdrummer. It sounded awesome, but took WAY too long to make a simple track. Any thoughts? Would a midi controller help me at all?
I should also add that I am very "green" when it comes to recording and midi software, trying to learn as I go.
I like the way EZdrummer sounds, but if I'm working on something serious, and want it to sound perfect, what should I use to acually build the drum track? Getting a kit, whether real or electronic is out of the question. Would a midi keyboard work? And if so, how would I build the track with it? Does EZdrummer have a midi editor in it? The only was I ever got it to work was by building a midi track externally, or getting a loop, and importing it into EZdrummer.
You can download sample packs of drum sounds and build the drums using that in a sequencer or some sorts
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
i'm afraid if you don't want to invest a lot (better say A LOT LOT LOT) of time in it the only answer is to get a good drummer recording your drum track.

if there is a way to get awesome drums in a simple way with software i am also interested in knowing how
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
It's ridiculously expensive, however, I bought EWQL's Complete Composers Collection, which, along with every instrument under the sun, comes with the most realistic drums I've heard in its Ministry of Rock pack, and I use that exclusively, it's unbelievably good.
I built a MIDI drumkit in Kontakt, using multiple recorded samples from each drum and cymbal. Then I write my MIDI drum tracks in GuitarPro and export the MIDI file into Pro Tools, and apply the Kontakt drumkit to the MIDI track. That way, I can edit the sounds of individual drums in Kontakt by importing different samples on the MIDI map where necessary, and I make it sound more real by going into the MIDI track in Pro Tools and randomising the velocities and timing, so every single hit isn't perfectly on the beat and exactly the same volume.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
@Celestial Do you have any songs I could hear using that, I don't mind dropping a few bones on software, I just want to be able to use it and be happy with the result.

@Kyle That sounds pretty good! What kind of setup are you running?
Native Instruments Battery 3 is in my opinion the best and blows the rest away. Why? Because it comes with many drum kits from acoustic sounding kits, to white noise kits and other electronic kits. You can randomize velocities from in it and has a lot of in depth things you can do involving mixing inside the plugin itself.

My drum setup is as follows usually:
Battery 3 -> DensityMKII (free compression software easy to fine online -> Cakewalk Sonitus FX: Reverb

An example of my drum sound is this song: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/satellite3/music/play1038227

EDIT: Also battery 3 doubles as a sequencer you can put your own samples in if you want.
Last edited by FireHawk at Feb 15, 2012,
@Firehawk You guys have a great sound! Do you use loops/samples or do you build from the ground up? I'm definitely gonna give Battery 3 a shot!
Quote by BigAssSack
@Firehawk You guys have a great sound! Do you use loops/samples or do you build from the ground up? I'm definitely gonna give Battery 3 a shot!

The drums are samples from within Battery 3, but I also have a huge drum sample library. Everything else is built from the ground up. If you are going the legal way Battery 3 is a bit expensive just a warning. It has been worth every penny for me though.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/producer/battery-3/
^ some audio demos and such from NI
I was actually thinking about buying Kontakt Komplete, I think it comes bundled with it. Doing more research now...
Quote by BigAssSack
I was actually thinking about buying Kontakt Komplete, I think it comes bundled with it. Doing more research now...

I wish I had the money to do that at the time, but that's what I plan on doing in the next year. NI makes a lot of great products.
Quote by Kakatara
You can download sample packs of drum sounds and build the drums using that in a sequencer or some sorts

This. You can get a pretty realistic drum sound using samples. Better than any program like EZDrummer or Superior drums, etc. If you're going to spend money, the only thing I might think about would be Steven Slate drums simply for the samples in it.

But it's very easy to find plenty of good free ones and manipulate them as you need. It will almost always sound better and more natural than programs like ezdrummer.
If you know what you're doing, EZ Drummer can sound incredible. Especially combined with EZMix.
Another trick is to use sampled drums but use real cymbals and real hats to mix in with the sound.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.