Hi all, I was wondering what makes the difference between the SE 245 and the SE singlecut and if it's worth the extra £100 for it. Also what's the difference between these and the SE custom 24.
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

I don't want to be a dick, but have you done any research at all? A quick google can bring up the spec sheets for all 3 guitars.
Anyway, from what I can tell, the 245 has independent volume and tone controls for each pickup, a differently located selector switch and a 24 1/2 inch scale length, compared to the master vol/tone on the singlecut, which also has a 25 inch scale length.
The custom 24 is a totally different beast again. Doublecut body, trem, 24 frets. Controls are the same as the singlecut. You can find all the specs here
http://www.prsguitars.com/products/index.php
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Sorry, I don't think my original question was detailed enough. (reading it back i understand where you're coming from)

The 245 says it has a 'Thick mahogany' body whereas the single cut just says 'mahogany' body. I was hoping someone could clarify how much thicker it is and how this affects the tone.

Also the 245 is speced as having 'SE 245 treble and bass humbuckers' and the single cut just says 'SE treble and bass humbuckers'. What is the difference between these?

Then there's the the scale legnth, what difference is there between a 24.5" and a 25"?

Then between those models and the Custom, is there a huge difference between the wide fat and the wide thin necks? (I realise I need to play them and judge them myself but I'm just looking for a rough guide)

And again, what is the sound difference between the custom, the 245 and the single cut?

Hope this clears up my question
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask

haven't tried them, but i'm guessing the 245 is more "vintage" all-round (as that was more or less the aim of it). so, thicker neck, lower output pickups, shorter scale length, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What effect does a shorter scale legnth have? I assume less sting tension due to less distance between the bridge and nut?
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask

Quote by shields17
What effect does a shorter scale legnth have? I assume less string tension due to less distance between the bridge and nut?

Yup. Also the neck pickup is further from the bridge making it nice and warm.
^ wouldn't that have the opposite effect? not sure it really affects the tone of the neck pickup since it's going to be all relative, anyway.

Quote by shields17
What effect does a shorter scale legnth have? I assume less sting tension due to less distance between the bridge and nut?

yeah

possibly a slightly warmer, less snappy tone
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ wouldn't that have the opposite effect? not sure it really affects the tone of the neck pickup since it's going to be all relative, anyway

i dunno the logistics of it all, I just know the same neck pup in my 24.75 guitar is alot warmer then in my 25.5. Same pots/cap/ everything down to the wire I used.
how many frets?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
22 vs 24.
22 (24.75) neck pup (closest edge to bridge) is approx 13cm whereas as the 25.5 scale 24 fret is dead on 12cm.

Oops, edit:
Distance from nearest edge of pup to avg saddle contact point.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Feb 15, 2012,
My 245 is LP thick and the pups are a bit more "air-y". I quite like the scale length, much like a les paul and.......controls.....pup selector is at the top........and that's about it?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Wide fat and wide thin are very different. Wide fat is Gibson-esque wile wide thin is closer to a strat neck profile.
Quote by JKHC
My 245 is LP thick and the pups are a bit more "air-y". I quite like the scale length, much like a les paul and.......controls.....pup selector is at the top........and that's about it?

Quote by Doombreed
Wide fat and wide thin are very different. Wide fat is Gibson-esque wile wide thin is closer to a strat neck profile.

Ok thanks guys I guess I'll just have to go and try them out for myself
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask

Quote by shields17
Ok thanks guys I guess I'll just have to go and try them out for myself

always a good strategy

I've been playing 25" scale length PRS for a while...got a Ted McCarty SC 245 (24.5" scale length) and have fallen in love with that scale length. Just a personal preference, though not a deal breaker.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
22 vs 24.
22 (24.75) neck pup (closest edge to bridge) is approx 13cm whereas as the 25.5 scale 24 fret is dead on 12cm.

Oops, edit:
Distance from nearest edge of pup to avg saddle contact point.

if your 24.75"guitar only has 22 frets, and the neck pickup tight up against the edge of the neck, while your 25.5" guitar has 24, that's what's causing the difference in tone of the neck pickup, not the scale length.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Doombreed
Actually the wide-fat is closer to a Strat and wide-thin is pretty much eactly the ESP 'thin U' profile. PRS' website lists the exact measurments of the different neck profiles. A proper thick Gibson or old school Tele neck is much thicker than the 'wide fat' neck PRS use. In fact even the 'wide' part is a lie, that's what they call 1 11/16" wide nuts, which are actually pretty much the standard width for every other brand.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.