Hello, I am going to try and explain this as best as I can because I don't think you would be able to tell what is going on from a photo.

I got new pickups and this is the first time that I am trying to install pickups on my own and it's not going well.

They are four conductor and I have them wired as follows.

I have the single black wire from each pickup going to the 3 way selector switch. I had it wired backwards at one point and the up position was the bridge and down was the neck, but I fixed that.

I have the red and bare wire soldered to the top of the volume pot

I have the green and white wires taped off.

I have a wire going from the 3 way selector to the volume pot and a wire from the volume pot to the tone pot.

I have a wire from the input jack going to the switch( the opposite end that I have the black wires attached) and one to the top of the volume pot. It's a stereo jack.

I have a capacitor soldered to one of the eyes on the tone pot and the other side of the cap is soldered to the top of the tone pot.

I totally get sound, but my volume pot is acting like a tone pot and the tone pot is doing absolutely nothing. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have looked up diagrams online and it looks like I have it wired correctly, but it's not working.

I would include a photo, but my soldering is really messy and I don't think it will help much.

Any idea of what the heck I am doing wrong and how to fix it?
what set are you trying for? two humbuckers 1 vol 1 tone?
if so the wires from the pick ups go to either side of the switch the middle of the switch goes to the left of the vol pot and it bridged to the left of the tone pot. the middle of the vol pot goes to the jack the middle of the tone is where you have you cap going to the back of the tone hope this helps
Last edited by Gary_G at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
make sure your pots are grounded to themselves and each other.

I'm not sure I understand this. How do you ground them to themselves?

I took the wires off, looked over a diagram and rewired them. They seem to working, but the knob that used to control the volume now controls the tone and vice versa. I really don't know how the heck it happened, but it did.

P5ych0_Killer, they are madhouse design pickups, the model is the walter. I took out an emg 81/85 set.

The pickups sound awesome, I guess I either need to figure out what I did wrong or get used to the opposite knob configuration.
what set are you trying for? two humbuckers 1 vol 1 tone?
if so the wires from the pick ups go to either side of the switch the middle of the switch goes to the left of the vol pot and it bridged to the left of the tone pot. the middle of the vol pot goes to the jack the middle of the tone is where you have you cap going to the back of the tone hope this helps
grounding the pots to themselves means you need to bend the third lug off the vol pot back onto the side ot the pot and solder it to the body of the pot thensolder a wire between the backs of both pots.
Ok. Sounds like you did the wiring correctly for those p'ups. Just checking because some companies designate different colors for + and - and such.

Yeah, the only thing I can think of without looking at it myself is what Gary said, make sure the pots are grounded to themselves. Sounds like you do have them grounded to each other, but did you bend & solder lug 3 to the back of the pot itself? Make sure to check all joints and make sure they're good too ( although they probably are if you have good clean working signal.)