Alright, after a share of googling this problem I've decided to turn to the pit.

My bike is for some reason making really loud high-pitched noises. It started today, and it's been cold outside and snowing if that is of importance. It's not your regular chirping squeaks, this is like a long note, actually it sounds a bit like microphonic feedback. Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone got any idea what it's all about? I'd like to be able to ride my bike while there's people around.

EDIT: It seems to happen only when I pedal or at least going at high speeds.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Feb 15, 2012,
Quote by moscaespañol
It needs UB40.

Fixed! My bike was broken, but I coaxed it into working again by playing Red Red Wine on full volume. Now we're expecting our first baby.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by moscaespañol
It needs WD40.

I guess trying won't hurt. But this is insane, I've never heard a bike make sounds like this before, and it appeared really suddenly. At first I thought maybe some punks had been screwing with it.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
I guess trying won't hurt. But this is insane, I've never heard a bike make sounds like this before, and it appeared really suddenly. At first I thought maybe some punks had been screwing with it.

calm down there, Clint Eastwood.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Its either the berrings inside the rims hub or inside the actual crank, your rims hub/crank could have been loose just slight enough to where the berrings were'nt staying in their proper position. Assuming no berrings fell out youd just have to make sure everythings tightened up so the berrings dont have any room to fall out of alignment.
I'm gonna go with brakes. Make sure the wheel is centered and the pad isn't rubbing.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Make sure the break pads aren't touching the rims without your interaction. Also make sure they aren't frozen rock solid.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by DartS17
Make sure the break pads aren't touching the rims without your interaction. Also make sure they aren't frozen rock solid.

This. As a kid, I remember intentionally making my bike squeak like that.
Thanks for the replies, I'll check the brakes and try to keep it warm.

EDIT:
Quote by thrashinghabit
Its either the berrings inside the rims hub or inside the actual crank, your rims hub/crank could have been loose just slight enough to where the berrings were'nt staying in their proper position. Assuming no berrings fell out youd just have to make sure everythings tightened up so the berrings dont have any room to fall out of alignment.

I'd also check this if I knew what it meant.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Feb 15, 2012,