Hey guys, I played a bunch of amps today in the $500 used range and I really liked these. But I'm just starting bass and I don't really know much about them yet. I think I liked the Ampeg a bit more but I don't have an ear for bass tone haha. I'm looking for a Mark Hoppus bass sound. What should I get?!
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Mark Hoppus uses Ampegs and they have a very distinctive sound (they aren't a transparent amp ie one that allows the tone of the bass to pass through). Most bass players can easily hear a player and say--that's an Ampeg!
The store I played them at had the ampeg b5r priced at $1200 new and the used swr priced at $495, so maybe the priced tricked me into thinking the ampeg was nicer. But, I thought it had a more warmer, punchier sound. The SWR was out of an Ampeg 410 and the ampeg was out of the ampeg 810 so maybe that made a difference?

edit: i have seen the ampegs used online for around $500 so I'm not sure why it was priced so high in the store.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I've found the SWR WorkingPro series amps have tremendous punch and low end. I'd go with the SWR.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I found an Ampeg B5R for $450 shipped, it was $1200 at the store and I liked it more so I bought that one.

I don't have enough experience with SWR to give an opinion on them, but Ampegs are incredible sounding and versatile.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia