I've a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG's and for some reason this guitar always gives me a really bassy, muddy, weak tone. Palm muting sounds really woofy and muddy and the notes blur together instead of a nice clear chuga chuga sound. And it also doesn't have as much gain as my other guitars. I have to turn the gain way up and the bass way down to try and get a clear sound.

I have other guitars with the same pick ups, same wood.... and it will give me a totally different sound when plugging into the same amp. I've tried adjusting the action, truss rod, intonation, changed strings, changing EMG battery, pick up height.... everything I can think of to get this guitar to sound so bassy, muddy, and weak.

My question is: is there anything else I can do to get a clearer, less bassy, woofy tone from my guitar?
Check your tone knob isn't turned all the way down.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Sounds like you've got a loose connection somewhere. You might wanna take it to a tech unless you're good with a soldering iron.
That's what I was gonna do next, I was just hoping there was something I could do on my own...
Thanks anyway
Definitely a battery issue. The connection probably broke somewhere inside. Should be a 30 second fix if you have a soldering iron.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
change the battery, the sounds exactly like what my V does when it's low on juice
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
How've you got your amp set? Ideally your bass should be below 5 and your mids at a reasonable level.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

+1 to changing the battery or loose connection. That's what it sound's like to me but my hellraiser has not had this happen yet.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Vyper 15w
Peavey 6505+ 112
I have a hellraiser, the battery is a good place to start. It's always going to sound muddy, just the nature of the beast. I don't know why, but it's the worst sounding guitar i've ever played.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
I have this same exact problem on my Damien Elite. I tried replacing the battery but it still sounds really weak. I'll probably go to my local music store to try and fix this.
How many more people are going to suggest that he should change the battery even though he said he did in the OP?
I am a fake mountain.
I had similar effects with my Hellraiser when my cable was broken. I'm not sure how it was broken but replacing the cable with a new one fixed the problems.

Sounds like a power issue so maybe the wiring is faulty inside and the mics don't get enough juice although you've replaced the battery.
Quote by TrailOfMe
I had similar effects with my Hellraiser when my cable was broken. I'm not sure how it was broken but replacing the cable with a new one fixed the problems.

Sounds like a power issue so maybe the wiring is faulty inside and the mics don't get enough juice although you've replaced the battery.

Tried multiple guitars with the same effect just read the dam paragraph, is it on both pickups?
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Mar 5, 2012,
Make sure your battery is making a solid connection against the prongs in the battery box. There are different sized 9 volt batteries and sometimes you need to pull those little prongs out to make sure there is a good connection.
Sounds like my hellraiser when the battery is low. I agree with the others that it probably is a loose connection that has to do with the battery, but it could also be a bad volume or tone pot.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by whyze250f
Sounds like my hellraiser when the battery is low. I agree with the others that it probably is a loose connection that has to do with the battery, but it could also be a bad volume or tone pot.

+1 Here, im voting more on a bad tone pot, try changing the pots out. Its cheap so if thats not it your only out a few bucks.
Guys, its the connection in the battery box. I had the same problem. I had replaced my battery and the new one was a little smaller though visually not noticeable. There was just a tiny amount of movement in the battery box where the battery would slip a little bit. Per a tech I know I pulled the prongs in the battery box out a bit and the problem was solved. That is very likely what's happening in all of your situations.