Hey UG. Syx here.

I just bought 4 packs of Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings from Musician's Friend. They arrived today. I took off my previous set (Power Slinky, 11 - 48) and just replaced them with the STHB (52 - 10).

However, I've got a floating trem.

I cannot for the life of me get the strings to stay in tune without the bridge looking like someone just totally dropped the bar. The bridge is so far away from the body, I don't think it could get any further.

I've cut the old strings, so I can't put them back on. And the nearest guitar shop is 20 miles from here and I don't know what they would charge to set it up.

So, what I'm asking is, where can I find documentation to help me set up my FR for these strings? I've looked here: http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/FloydTuning.htm and here: http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/OriginalFloydRoseInfo.php#basic_topic_4

but neither of those can help me.

I'd love any help you guys can give me, because I have a gig in 3 days and I need to fix this ASAP.
This post brought to you thoughtfully by Syx
.show_Gear://
.load_guitar: Jackson_Rhoads.24_frets
.load_amp: Crate_G40C
.load_pedals: Digitech_distortionfactory_7 ; Dunlop_original_crybaby
.load_mic: Shure_PG58
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Tighten the springs in the back.

Don't want to sound hateful, but are you so stupid as to think I've not tried that?
Quote by asixex
Don't want to sound hateful, but are you so stupid as to think I've not tried that?

You should have mentioned. Also writing that makes me not want to help you.
Fuck yourself.

Anyways... Add another spring.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
You should have mentioned. Also writing that makes me not want to help you.
Fuck yourself.

Anyways... Add another spring.

Add another spring? That hadn't dawned on me. But where would I find a spring like the ones used in the trem system?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
http://www.allparts.com/Tremolo-Springs-p/BP-0019-010.htm

Or look for a 52mm spring on a site you like.

Does this include just one spring, or 3 new springs?

Also, sorry for being a dick. I just figured that if you'd looked at the documents, you'd have seen that I did try to adjust the springs.
That one comes with three. But hell for 2.50$ or whatever having a couple extra never hurt.
Idc really. Im a dick alot too, I say **** u and move on. Not worth dwelling on.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
That one comes with three. But hell for 2.50$ or whatever having a couple extra never hurt.
Idc really. Im a dick alot too, I say **** u and move on. Not worth dwelling on.

$3.50 for 3 springs means about $1.17 per spring. On StewMac (click here) They're $2 apiece. But I think StewMac would be a better choice because I can order 5 springs instead of either 3 or 6, and their shipping is only $6.50 and it's 2-4 days, not $7 ground (5 - 8 days).

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to be ordering new springs from StewMac. But first, I'm going to adjust my springs as such

\I/ - In a V shape. My springs right now are like so |I| - in a straight line with a space between.
Last edited by asixex at Feb 15, 2012,