Hi everyone,

Months ago i bought an alesis usb interace (16 bit,44.1Khz).
It was years i didn't play guitar (squier fender) but after buying it i started playing guitar a lot again so basically now i'd like to buy a new interface that can give me more sound quality.
Now,just to avoid having answers like "if you want quality you must have this that cost 400$"...if possible suggest product between 100-150$ (i'm in europe,so the price will be even 30-50$ more that the standard price).
The only thing i ask,moreover than a better quality than the current one,is that it should have an output port to plug the amplifier and if possible can mix the output with an ipod one.

Ps: browsing web i found this,whould i hear some improvement with this?
PPs: now i don't play in a band/don't have to make studio or gig,i just play 2-3hour a day making cover of songs by myself.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Allfreeware at Feb 15, 2012,
Peavey PV6. Best buy I ever made. 0.0007% harmonic distortion or something. You get clean guitar sounds from heaven, and distortions from hell.

However, in what I've learned, the best quality comes more from the microphones you use than the interface. My band uses 2 Shure SM58's and 1 cheap Wal-Mart microphone. There is a considerable difference between the Shures and the generic. I recommend visiting a local Guitar Center or music shop and venturing over to the recording section. GC usually has some decent ones for about $60 USD.

EDIT: didn't read that last part, however I'm pretty sure the Peavey has this.

Some more info:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=seb&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#q=peavey+pv6&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=BEs8T9CaKYb20gHR0s2qCw&ved=0CHQQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=f7d4ff41d6ce0a8c&ix=seb&ion=1&biw=1440&bih=781

I recommend the USB version. slightly more expensive, but well worth it, and better than having 57 wires dangling everywhere. On eBay, you can sometimes haggle with distributors for about $20 USD less on a new one.

They're $120 USD new for a USB version.

As for mics, the BEST are Shure SM57's or SM58's if you can afford a bunch of them, however any microphone over $50 USD is worth it for someone just starting out.
Last edited by gateway01 at Feb 15, 2012,
Yeah id definetly recommend the peavey, super quiet, six inputs, usb, its got everything u need

or for something a bit smaller u could get this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-audiogram3-computer-recording-system

one of my band mates has it and was very impressed
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

OFFICIALLY A 'BEAUTIFUL PERSON'
Hi,thanks to both for answers.
@gateway01 Honestly i never used a microphone to record the guitar,i usually just plug the guitar output to the usb interface that goes to computer trough usb. (i play electric guitar not classic/acoustic)

In both Peavey PV6 and Yahama Audiogram i don't see in the spec the bit and the sampling rate,aren't they important value? (sry if i'm noob but never thought about a mixer so i don't know what's important in it)

How does those mixer works?
Can i just plug the cable from guitar to mixer,than from mixer to pc trough usb and then play using guitar rig?

Thanks.
Quote by Allfreeware
Hi,thanks to both for answers.
@gateway01 Honestly i never used a microphone to record the guitar,i usually just plug the guitar output to the usb interface that goes to computer trough usb. (i play electric guitar not classic/acoustic)

In both Peavey PV6 and Yahama Audiogram i don't see in the spec the bit and the sampling rate,aren't they important value? (sry if i'm noob but never thought about a mixer so i don't know what's important in it)

How does those mixer works?
Can i just plug the cable from guitar to mixer,than from mixer to pc trough usb and then play using guitar rig?

Thanks.

You absolutely can.

However...

You won't be happy with the sounds you get out of it, depending mostly on the genre you play. I play mainly punk and metal, so I use 2 microphones on a Fender Mustang III amp playing a PRS Custom 24. (not mine, but my band does this)

You see, recording straight through the interface doesn't get the nicest clean sounds or the best distortions. If you can be satisfied with average, than save the money and don't buy microphones. But if you wanted to start recording higher quality songs, it would be best to use microphones, specifically Shure. (I hear Electro-Voice is nice too, although DAMN expensive)

There is a way to run effects pedals and such through the interface with a series of wires, but you won't get the tone that you get through the amp.
Using microphone will be difficult anyway since when i play i usually go around by the room
I don't want to record songs as studio,i just want to play over a song with the guitar having a good quality

Thanks.
Don't really know enough about interfaces to help you, but wanted to say I think Gateway01 has got the wrong idea, you do not need a microphone, as you're not going through an amp right? I don't know what he thinks you're going to mic up...

I use an M-Audio Fast track, I like it, but there's probably better around.
Gear

Ibanez RG321mh
GND Strat
Laney Cub 12
Crybaby GCB-95
Boss TU-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Marshall BB-2
EHX Little Big Muff
Joyo Ultimate Drive
SHO Clone
Boss DD-7
Boss DD-20
Boss CH-1
Daphone Volume Pedal
The M-Audio Fast track have 24 bit/44Khz, instead mine have 16bit/44Khz so it's a bit better.Can you use this device to have also an output to an amp?

Mh,currently that's the way i use my interface:
guitar--->interface--->computer usb--->guitar rig---->output on headset

With the new interface i'd like to have the possibility to have also an output trough my amp.

Thanks.
yeah the peavey, yamaha and m-audio can all go through the an amp, couldnt you just plug the headset output into the amp?

what amp are you planing to run through?
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

OFFICIALLY A 'BEAUTIFUL PERSON'
I got a Tascam US-1641 for $180 shipped on a forum.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
yeah the peavey, yamaha and m-audio can all go through the an amp, couldnt you just plug the headset output into the amp?

Mh,i heard that this could be dangerous since the amp and the computer phone/speaker output seems to have different resistor but...don't know if it's true so i never tried...anyway,for doing this i just need to connect the pc speaker output with the amp input (the guitar input)?

what amp are you planing to run through?

Stinger 50W (don't remember the exact model) but it's "under repair" at the moment because it was broken.

I've checked the Tascam US-1641 but it seems too professional for me.

The only thing i don't get about the peavey is that there's no written in any site even in the manual the values of bit/sample frequency.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.
Quote by gateway01
well, there's the Alesis io2 express. about $80 USD and gets pretty nice quality. If you're running line-in, this will work perfectly.

Yeah,that one seems fine too,thanks for the advice

In those days i was wondering...if buying a new interface would really improve the sound...Or if it's better to change a pickup.I mainly use the bridge pickup and it's the standard one that comes with the Squier Fender guitar.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Last edited by Allfreeware at Feb 19, 2012,
Quote by kyle62
What's your current recording chain?

guitar--->interface--->computer usb--->guitar rig---->output on headset
No one changed a pickup of a Squier Fender? Does it make some notable difference in the sound quality?

Thanks.