Is Squier to Fender is what Epiphone is to Gibson?

Are there other well known names with sub companies making some quality guitars at lower prices.
There was a time I didn't know Epiphone was a Gibson deal. And thought Squier was a name of guitar like stratocaster, etc. What a noob I am.

A lot of people throw around names but it is hard to keep straight sometimes with exception of above.
Squier is basically Fender's version of Epiphone, yeah.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Yes.

Olp are cheap Music Man.
Ltd is a cheap Esp

Cant think of more....
More obvious ones are Ibanez gio, Prs se, Gibson Melody Maker...
pretty much

but yeah, as meticadpa says, the older japanese-made squiers are (presumably, i haven't tried them) more like today's japanese fenders.

also epiphone has, on occasion, had japanese-made guitars which are also of higher quality (again, allegedly, haven't tried those either, but i've tried enough japanese-made guitars to know they're probably pretty sweet).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pretty much

but yeah, as meticadpa says, the older japanese-made squiers are (presumably, i haven't tried them) more like today's japanese fenders.

also epiphone has, on occasion, had japanese-made guitars which are also of higher quality (again, allegedly, haven't tried those either, but i've tried enough japanese-made guitars to know they're probably pretty sweet).

Yeah, they're pretty good. I've played a couple of them and one Japanese Fender. The Japanese Fender is pretty much the best playing guitar I've ever played so I think it'd be unfair to compare them to that... but they're definitely on par with my other, older MIJ guitars (like my Rocket Roll II).

Edit: haven't tried any MIJ Epiphone guitars either, but from all accounts they're pretty good. I honestly think Japanese craftsmanship can rival US. I've got a 1974 Les Paul copy with a bolt-on neck and it's glorious. Plays and sounds amazing. Has hollow body chambers in it too so it's light and sounds really resonant. Picked it up for £75.
Last edited by meticadpa at Feb 15, 2012,
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually other companies do this as well.

Douglas < Agile
Gio < Ibanez
LTD < ESP
SX < Suhr
Davison < Kona

If you want to get specific its

Starcaster < Squier < Fender
Maestro/Baldwin < Epiphone < Gibson
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Feb 15, 2012,
Pretty much what has been said. Squiers aren't bad, but generally the models to stay away from are the Squier Bullets and Affinity series, unless you happen to find a particularly good one. I'd also point out that at the Squier price range you will find a few different guitars of the same model that may play completely different, so they are definitely hit or miss.

Oh and one correction from the list above, OLP WAS the budget brand Music Man guitars. They're now sold as Sterling instead of OLP
Quote by shecter guy

Oh and one correction from the list above, OLP WAS the budget brand Music Man guitars. They're now sold as Sterling instead of OLP

Oh, good to know.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Yes.

Sterling by Musicmans are cheap Ernie Ball Music Man's.
Ltd is a cheap Esp

Cant think of more....
More obvious ones are Ibanez gio, Prs se, Gibson Melody Maker...

FTFY
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For those interested in japanese epiphones, I used to own one. While I was studying over there they releases a limited run of MIJ epiphones made in the same factory as MIJ fender. They're all lacquer-finished (as opposed to polyurethane) and if you scour ebay, you might find them for as little as $400 if the seller doesn't know what he has.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/staticoverdub/pictures/gear/100428/

That was mine
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Seems like starcaster<squier<mim fender<mia fender and
maestro<epiphone<jr/melody maker<gibson
Would be a better comparison, me thinks?
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes

Yessssir!

But the Starcasters and Maestros are the ones that you get at Wal-Mart/Target.

Going back to another thread, those technically aren't guitars because they aren't made in the US and they don't have a flame top.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Yessssir!

But the Starcasters and Maestros are the ones that you get at Wal-Mart/Target.

Going back to another thread, those technically aren't guitars because they aren't made in the US and they don't have a flame top.

What? Where is this thread? That sounds absolutely hilarious.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by Darkdevil725
A
SX < Suhr

don't think so, it's rasmus with suhr
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jjbarnes

I would pretty much agree with this unless you really want to break it down into even more detail.

I think the maestro/baldwins are just a little better than starcasters, but not as nice as some squiers, of which there are many different models with various quality ....... oh hell, I'm not going there

BUT..... I would go so far as to say the MIM Fenders are probably closer to the upper end Epiphones as far as the heirarchy goes
Quote by mrbreeze317
I would pretty much agree with this unless you really want to break it down into even more detail.

I think the maestro/baldwins are just a little better than starcasters, but not as nice as some squiers, of which there are many different models with various quality ....... oh hell, I'm not going there

BUT..... I would go so far as to say the MIM Fenders are probably closer to the upper end Epiphones as far as the heirarchy goes

That's true, although some of the pickups in those mims sound waaaay better than the electronics in most epiphones. period.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb