So I've just made the move from a terrible combo (Line 6 Spider Jam) to a lovely valve amp head (Jet City JCA20H) and a handbuilt 2x12 cab given to me by my uncle, so it's safe to say my tone is sounding much better now.
However I am completely new to the whole concept of tube amps and everything, I know I'm gonna have to re-tube the amp periodically and was wondering about the whole matching the tubes and setting the bias or what have you works.
If I bought these, for example - http://www.guitar-tubes.com/tubes/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_165&products_id=1176
would I literally be able to just switch the tubes around myself? Or do I need a professional to do it for me and set up the tubes properly?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Dylan_182 at Feb 15, 2012,
email jet city and ask them if it's cathode-biased or fixed bias (fixed can either be adjustable or non-adjustable, which is confusing, i didn't make up the names )

if it's cathode-biased (which it might well be at 20 watts with two 2l84s), then it's plug-and-play for the power valves.

preamp valves are plug and play regardless of how the power tubes are biased

you can swap tubes yourself if it doesn't need to be biased (either cathode-biased or fixed non-adjustable), and assuming opening the back of the amp doesn't expose the circuit (where you can electrocute yourself if you're not careful).

EDIT: ok it's looking like it's fixed bias, no need to email them. just waiting to hear if it's adjustable or not. I'm guessing it is, in which case it'd need to be biased, which probably means a job for someone else who knows what he/she is doing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 15, 2012,
thanks man, I'll have to look around for a decent amp tech if it turns out to be adjustable.
It is adjustable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks cath
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?