Have crap beginner amp from a starter package. It is terrible. Looking for a cheap upgrade while I learn more guitar stuff. It really has come down to two.

Peavy Vypyr 15w
or
Fender Mustang 1 20w

I like the preset idea on the Mustang but am having a hard time finding Vypyr info in comparison. Both $99 on amazon which seems pretty good for new.

I am not sure what info you need from me, but I want some distortion that I just don't get out of my very limited crap amp. Please help this poor soul decide. Or suggest something better?
If you don't need more volume, go for a Roland Micro Cube- sounds fantastic.

The Fender's pretty solid, I haven't played the Peavey (and am not impressed by Peavey's solid state offerings for guitar amps... they tend to sound weak and overly transistor-y). Don't forget, your guitar has equal impact on the tone. Crap guitar = crap tone with (almost) all amps/effects.
Quote by Guild King
If you don't need more volume, go for a Roland Micro Cube- sounds fantastic.

The Fender's pretty solid, I haven't played the Peavey (and am not impressed by Peavey's solid state offerings for guitar amps... they tend to sound weak and overly transistor-y). Don't forget, your guitar has equal impact on the tone. Crap guitar = crap tone with (almost) all amps/effects.

Guitar is step 2. Step 1, amp.

Thank. The Cube runs on batteries though?
Hey i just upgraded from an ashton ga10 pract amp (asssuming similiar to yours) to a peavey vypyr 30.

I was tossing up between mustang II or vypyr 30...

your best bet is to go to your local GC and try them both out.

Personally i found the vypyr has better metal/distortion settings and the mustang has better cleans.

However this comes down to preference and tweaking ability. The first hour of using my vypyr the sounds were terrible. Then after some tweaking. Utter brilliance. I've saved my presets and have a nice clean chorus like santana tone, a high treble slash sound and a long moaning lead like steve vai at the tips of my fingers.

The problem with the mustang is if you ever wish to take it with you somewhere, either take your pc, or a laptop otherwise the amp is pretty basic functionality wise. Everyone talks about getting the best tones well that all comes down to preference and with either amp you have a large amount of customization available with pregain, post gain, low, mid treb. paramater controls on both stomboxes and effects. and built in global delay and reverb (vypyr30)

tl;dr

Both will blow your mind compared to your old amp either play them both, or decide on complete standalone functionality with minimal computer hookup available (vypyr)

or limited standalone functionality but a world of customizing at your mouseclick.

I URGE YOU TO TRY THEM BOTH BEFORE PURCHASING.
Agreed with Guild King,

Roland Micro Cube line is an amazing little thing, my rhythm guitarist has one and it's a versatile little thing.

It has more than enough volume for any normal bedroom practice, although if you started to jam with drums you would most than likely have to upgrade.

But for under $150 bucks you can get an stellar amp, this also save you enough money to get a better guitar.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Feb 15, 2012,
id stay away from an 8 inch speaker at all costs.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
id stay away from an 8 inch speaker at all costs.

What?

Someone call up Hendrix, Clapton, and thousands of other guitarists and tell them they did it wrong.
Quote by Buck's Student
What?

Someone call up Hendrix, Clapton, and thousands of other guitarists and tell them they did it wrong.
ok let me rephrase that. id stay away from a shitty amp with an 8 inch speaker. one single 8 inch speaker. i didnt say stay from a fender twin reverb with two of them.

If I was you which I was 6 months ago. Id look for something with a bigger speaker. or replace the 8 inc speaker in the vypyr with a 10 inch jensen mod.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Get the Vypyr 15 before the Micro Cube. It's not as portable but it sounds better and does a lot more for the money.
Is the 8 inch a big deal. I am not going to use it for a gig and probably use it with headphones quite a bit. But also I dont want to blow the roof off the house either... I guess I am not sure why 8 inch is no good?
Quote by Killsocket
Is the 8 inch a big deal. I am not going to use it for a gig and probably use it with headphones quite a bit. But also I dont want to blow the roof off the house either... I guess I am not sure why 8 inch is no good?
If you're just going to be doing senseless bedroom wanking, then an 8 inch speaker will work fine.
I find low end Peaveys to be (IMO) utter trash, I know mine is, u should get the Roland
People here will tell you that stuff like 8 inches are no good. 8 inches just have their own tonal range. They don't have as much bass response, but I think that with the right amps they sound great. That said, I would go with the fender over the peavey. You're just doing practice right now, but eventually you'll want to start playing with other people and from everything i've heard and played on the fender will do that better than the peavey. And you'll probably sound better.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
I prefered the roland over the vypyr 15 myself. i guess less is more.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The problem with the 8 inch that romeo is refering to is that the stock ones that come in the vyper series(I assume that's the one he had issues with), peavey put's really cheap speakers in their vyper line up except for the Tube 60 and 120. Put a new speaker in a valve king or a lower watt vyper and those thing will sing!
I believe he was also talking about the little 8" in the Roland Micro Cube. Which won't give you huge, thumping bass response, but it's actually not a bad little speaker.

I still say the Roland's a great little amp, and you shouldn't have problems with it being too loud (although, it does pump out quite a bit of volume for such a tiny thing- handy when you want to experiment with feedback, or if you're playing with another guitarist/bassist). It DOES run on batteries (which last forever, by the way), but you can plug an AC adapter into it (I think it comes with one).

The Fender's also a good option, I've never met a Fender product I didn't like (that's not to say they aren't out there, or that I love them all... but if it's "Fender" and not "Squier", chances are the quality's pretty decent). If you want the volume to play with some other folks (specifically drums, 'cuz the Micro Cube will be fine for another guitarist), I'd go with the Fender. But the Roland will give you clean tones that are just as good (or, very likely better) and some great distortions, with good digital effects to boot (chorus, phaser, flanger and tremolo on one knob, delay and reverb on the other). Not to mention a little "tuning fork", which I find invaluble, and a line in for an iPod/other audio device, and headphone jack.
Yep the Micro cube series does indeed come with an AC adapter, I'm planning to pick one up for my bands acoustic jams or working on new songs. We get distracted to easily when we have the big amps out :P