Hey I replaced a couple speakers in my 2x12 cab today and all is great but I want to re-wire it all as the wire already there looks a bit knackared.

Today I bought some and noticed its thicker than the current wire. The current wire is pretty thin!

Is this ok to use? It says 24/0.2 on the packet. I have no idea if it's ok.

Thanks, Luke.
If I'm right, and I may not be, I think that is the equivalent of 18 AWG, which is probably fine for lower wattages on short runs., It won't hurt to have heavier wire than you had before. It just means you'll be able to route more power through it without the cable burning up.
24/0.2 means 24 strands of 0.2mm thick wire, it will easily take the load inside a cab even with a hefty wattage tube amp. It should take a minimum of 5000W peak, which you will never own an amp capable of producing.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Feb 16, 2012,
nah man, lighter weight cables can take more punishment, thicker cables can get damaged easily
Ibanez WD7 Wah
it depends, is it the jack on the head or the cab that's an issue? the cab jack is probably a chassis jack socket and fairly sturdy under pressure, the one in the head is more likely to be a PCB mounted one and yanking it can often break the soldering
Ibanez WD7 Wah
first off, see if it's like one of these:

if it is you're probably ok, which is likely being hand wired.

if it looks like this:

set into a PCB check the solder connections on it
Ibanez WD7 Wah