Hello,

I have a group with another friend, and we compose mainly doing chord progressions and singing. We both play the piano... And we both play the guitar... And we both sing.
We usually alternate. When one plays the guitar, the other plays the piano.

But, sometimes we both play the guitar. And it doesn't sound so well.
It is probably because we play exactly the same.

How can we arrange the two guitars? Like... One of us plays the normal chords...
And what does the other do?

Thanks in advance,
Rui.

P.S. We both play folk guitars. And the style is like american classic folk.
Last edited by RuiTheDark at Feb 15, 2012,
Rui,

This may sound odd to you but I suggest you try to listen to a lot of Iron Maiden material
especially the song, "Hallowed Be Thy Name". Now, just to clarify, this is not a way to bandwagon. Focus on the principles of guitar harmonization.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I know that song very well. As I know many others with two guitars.

The thing is... I sometimes see guitar players using a specific technique that seems very simple. While one plays the basic chords, the other plays a little higher pitched.

I don't know if it's an octave forth, or simply an interval.

But it looks really simple, so I don't know. :s
You could harmonise, like one of you could play a third or an octave up or something.
Or one of you could play lead licks over chords. Slide guitar? Maybe that's country. I don't really know about folk.
Different rhythms, call and response, open chords and other forms. Fingerpicked arpeggios.

Also, listen to iron maiden as that guy said. Even if you're not a fan, they have some nice three guitar arrangements you could get some ideas from.
I'm a big fan of Iron Maiden. They use a lot of harmonization indeed.

But they usually use the guitars doing specific intervals. But for that, each guitar plays single notes, making the interval. If one uses C, the other uses E, for example.

The thing is... If I do a C chord, and he does an E chord, it will give a totally different effect.

All I want is to make the song sound more complete and full. Maybe playing inversions, I don't know.
try doing one of their songs to improve your sync ability, plus it might help you get a better feel for it. also somewhere in time is a pretty easy sync song
Metallica could be another EPIC example of 2 guitar player doing things differently yet not that completely. Especially the Black Album, Load, Reload and St. Anger.
^
Not really. Most Metallica songs feature little to no harmonization of the guitars. There was some use of the on AJFA, but I can't think of any songs that featured much by way of harmonization.

Iron Maiden usually use minor third or minor sixth harmonies.

TS, I'd recommend you look at some songs on Opeth's Damnation album. The songs are all clean or acoustic and feature a lot of folk and jazz style arrangements with a number of different kinds of harmonies.

Another thing that works for melodies is to play in octaves over the rhythm guitar part. The sound is much fuller and gives you a larger sound. Open chords are a really large and full sounding, so I recommend using them when possible if you're going for a full sound.
Geldin,

Actually, it's no longer about harmonization in my previous suggestion.

Quote by RuiTheDark
Thanks for the quick reply.

I know that song very well. As I know many others with two guitars.

The thing is... I sometimes see guitar players using a specific technique that seems very simple. While one plays the basic chords, the other plays a little higher pitched.

I don't know if it's an octave forth, or simply an interval.

But it looks really simple, so I don't know. :s
That's a pretty vague response you gave there. Coulda gone either way. Anyhow, I dunno how applicable Metallica's style of lead and rhythm is to an acoustic duo. I think a more appropriate artist to look at would be Rodrigo y Gabriela (who, coincidentally, do a ton of Metallica covers arranged for twin nylon-string guitars). They do a lot of neat percussive things with their instruments that could add to your sound.
One thing you can do is incorporate more complex chords into your music, with one guitar playing two notes of a chord, while the other guitar plays the other two notes; for example, let's take a Cmaj7 chord. The notes of the chord are C E G B. One guitar could be playing the C and the G (making that a C5 chord) while the other plays the E and the B (which would be an E5 chord). That is a way to harmonize with two guitar, or with a guitar and a piano, or with a guitar and a bass, or with a piano and a bass

It doesn't work well in all cases, but it's just a suggestion. I've incorporated it into several compositions of mine, and it sounds really amazing when used right.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
The simple answer is that you can play the same chord many different ways all over the fretboard.

Also don't forget about melody, one guitar can play the chords whilst the other plays the melody line, or plays chords extended with notes of the melody,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^
Iron Maiden usually use minor third or minor sixth harmonies.

Which maiden songs use minor sixth harmonies ?

Not doubting you but i've never came across them before in maidens music. They use octaves an awfull lot as well.
I'm pretty sure I've heard some minor sixths in there somewhere. Gonna take a listen to a couple of tracks to make sure I'm not hearing things....
Quote by Geldin
I'm pretty sure I've heard some minor sixths in there somewhere. Gonna take a listen to a couple of tracks to make sure I'm not hearing things....

1.56 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyTzHotDeNs

Im not that familar with minor sixth harmonies btw. It's a three guitar harmony so im not sure. Loneliness of the long distance runner has many many harmonies, might be worth checking them out.
Quote by steven seagull
The simple answer is that you can play the same chord many different ways all over the fretboard.

Also don't forget about melody, one guitar can play the chords whilst the other plays the melody line, or plays chords extended with notes of the melody,

There's also counterpoint, depending on your arrangements.
One thing that a lot of people also forget is you can have the two parts playing seemingly different chords that come together to form a much richer harmony than either part independently.

Weirdly, there are a few Killswitch Engage songs where this is the case, if you listen to something like the chorus of My Last Serenade there are two guitar parts there, one is playing pretty much straight power chords or sus2 chords and the other plays notes that add flavor to that so the overall sound is much more harmonically rich than it might at first seem.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Even KISS have done stuff like this, the intro to Strutter has Paul playing power chords while Ace plays some higher 3 note voicings.

Paul
|---------------||---------------------|------------------------------|
|-----------4-4-||-4---6-4-6-4-x-12----|-(12)-12-14-12-12-12-12--7--7-|
|-----------2-2-||-2---2-2-2-2---10----|-(10)-10-10-10-10-10-10--5--5-|
|
| Ace
| H    Q  E S S    H.          E  S  S     H.                 E  S  S
|-----------7-7-||-7-------------10-10-|--10--------------------10-10-|
|-----------7-7-||-7-------------12-12-|--12--------------------10-10-|
|-----------8-8-||-8-------------12-12-|--12--------------------11-11-|
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com