Hey all. A few months a go I was able to play a Blackstar HT100 amplifier and I loved the tone it produced, clean and dirty! I've seen alot of hate towards these amps (eg. "HT = hybrid trash") but I don't understand why. I thought they were full valve?

Anyway I would like to see some opinions on the Blackstar Series One range, particularly the 50w head if possible. How does it compare to the HT series and is it worth the extra cash? Are there similar amps in the same price range as the Series One you would recommend and why?

They aren't full valve, but I think that they sound like a valve, perhaps better. I've only ever played on the ht amps and I love them, but it looks like the series one have more traditional tweaking abilities like presence and what not. If I could I would probably go for the series one just for that reason.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Neither,

where do you live?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by jjbarnes
They aren't full valve, but I think that they sound like a valve, perhaps better. I've only ever played on the ht amps and I love them, but it looks like the series one have more traditional tweaking abilities like presence and what not. If I could I would probably go for the series one just for that reason.

Thanks for your reply. Just clarifying, you mean the HT isn't full valve, the Series One is?

I love the possibly tweaking abilities too, the DPR control looks like a nice feature.
ive heard stories of horrid reliability with the S1 amps
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Slash Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Quote by HeadlessCross
Really? Any links?

Yeah, links?
As for the whole valve thing, I'm not sure about the s1, but I KNOW that the ht has at the very least an ss phase inverter and some op amps for distortion. From what I've seen of the insides of the s1s they look all tube, but I've not seen many up close pics.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
Yeah, links?
As for the whole valve thing, I'm not sure about the s1, but I KNOW that the ht has at the very least an ss phase inverter and some op amps for distortion. From what I've seen of the insides of the s1s they look all tube, but I've not seen many up close pics.

Leading off topic a bit (but relative to your post): I keep coming across the terms phase inversion/in phase/out of phase , but I don't fully understand what they mean. Are there any technical threads that may help me understand this jargon?
Quote by HeadlessCross
Leading off topic a bit (but relative to your post): I keep coming across the terms phase inversion/in phase/out of phase , but I don't fully understand what they mean. Are there any technical threads that may help me understand this jargon?

If you google amp classes you'll come across tons of articles about it, but basically the signal going through your amp is sinusoidal. In order to increase headroom and volume the flip the wave and combine it for the output. This is what the phase inverter. In phase/out of phase talks about pickups. If you have two single coils out of phase, then the hum will cancel out. If you do this with humbuckers the signal gets weaker and gives you a different tone to work with.
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by jjbarnes
If you google amp classes you'll come across tons of articles about it, but basically the signal going through your amp is sinusoidal. In order to increase headroom and volume the flip the wave and combine it for the output. This is what the phase inverter. In phase/out of phase talks about pickups. If you have two single coils out of phase, then the hum will cancel out. If you do this with humbuckers the signal gets weaker and gives you a different tone to work with.

Thanks, I actually understand this but I'm guessing I should have payed more attention in physics.
We don't care that the amps are hybrids.

We hate Blackstar because they lied through their teeth about it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the HT's do sound amazing. if you hop on youtube and search "monsters of high gain blackstar series one" you'll be able to hear the series one 200 from Misha mansoor of periphery and also the guy from thousand foot crutch (cant think of his name)

the tone king does some fairly good reviews and he has one of teh series one 50 watt head