Jamming with my band and I went to hit my volume pedal for a solo boost and then my amp just cut out. The clean channel is still loud but when I switch the dirt channel is super quiet. I'm thinking tubes but they're not very old and I wasn't playing loud. Anyone know what's up?
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Sounds like your V2 preamp tube may be blown.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I wish I had some tubes an knew how to do it. I'll have to get 12ax7s first though. Is there a difference between them? I want the most gain I can get outta this amp.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
i suggest JJ's ecc83 they are pretty high gain tubes with lower noise. you can get them at eurotubes.com of dougstubes.com or thetubedepot.com

generally tubes go in order from where your guitar plugs into the amp. the preamp tube V1 is closest to the guitar input. you can take that tube out and swap it with the next in line IE V2 and put v2's tube in v1's slot. if the gain channel comes back the tube in V2 was bad.

it does make it easier if you get a new tube and swap out a preamp tube one at a time, turn the amp on and play for a min and see if there is a difference or if the problem is fixed.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
So ya I changed the tubes around and that worked, so one of them must have been bad because the this time both the clean and the dist channel worked, but the distortion on the dirt channel didn't sound right so i'll probably just get 3 new tubes. It had groove tubes gt 12ax7-r in them. I liked the tone I got from the amp and I liked the clean channel but I could use some more gain so I'm not relying on my OD as much. I have a show this weekend so I may just get whatever the store has if it's a ecc83 or ecc803. From what I've read they're the heaviest styles.

How are Groove Tubes? I have them in the power section too. I really love the Marshally thrash sound. I guess speakers should be my first change if I'm worried about the tone of my amp.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
If you've put the bad tube/valve in the V1 position it'll effect the sound because when you change from the clean to the dirt channel it adds in V2 so you're then using the first and second tubes/valves for the gain channel/stage.
What's the third one for?
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Third one is the phase inverter. It's the last tube before the preamp hits the power amp and is one of the hardest-working tubes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
So since my two channels now work since I switched them around, the bad tube must be in the V2 slot then?

Either way, another big props to GG&A crew! I now know stuff about tubes now woo.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
So ya I changed the tubes around and that worked, so one of them must have been bad because the this time both the clean and the dist channel worked, but the distortion on the dirt channel didn't sound right so i'll probably just get 3 new tubes. It had groove tubes gt 12ax7-r in them. I liked the tone I got from the amp and I liked the clean channel but I could use some more gain so I'm not relying on my OD as much. I have a show this weekend so I may just get whatever the store has if it's a ecc83 or ecc803. From what I've read they're the heaviest styles.

How are Groove Tubes? I have them in the power section too. I really love the Marshally thrash sound. I guess speakers should be my first change if I'm worried about the tone of my amp.

Groove Tubes just rebrand other tubes. You can tell what they are by the full tube number (probably starts with either 6L6 or EL34, but I don't know much about the Valveking)

I would recommend JJ's for your preamp (go with ECC83's) and probably JJ's for your power tubes as well. They are the best Value for your Money. I don't know what all tubes the VK can take, but if you like Marshally tones, go with EL34's if it can take those.
give this a read. it should help you with your tube searches and all that jazz

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149

you cant go wrong with a full set of jj's pre and power tubes. tung sol also makes a tasty preamp tube. i found that it sounds nice in V1. also for your phase inverter try and get a tube that is matched.

for your power tubes your amp runs 6l6 tubes. like i said jj 6l6's are nice and ill also reccomend ruby 6l6gmstr power tubes. they are nice as well.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Groove Tubes just rebrand other tubes. You can tell what they are by the full tube number (probably starts with either 6L6 or EL34, but I don't know much about the Valveking)

Yeah, I put in the model number and they were described as preamp tubes not designed for metal, which was weird because I thought they sounded alright. Either way I'm going to look around for some JJ's or tungsols. Edmonton is a pretty big city so I bet some place has them.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I put three Tungsol's in my amp and it sounds really nice. I'm pretty sure it has brightened my amp up in comparison to what I had before. I haven't played it loud enough to see if it's increased any gain or anything but I really do like the sound. Everything seems crisper. I'm ready for the show this weekend woo!

The bonus was the tungsol's were cheaper (15 bucks) than the groove tubes (23) or the mesa tubes (25) which are random rebranded 12ax7's, which seems peculiar to me because you could get different tubes each time you buy them.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
glad it all worked out for you. i do enjoy tungsol tubes. they are quite tasty
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board