Hi I think this is in the right forum, but if it isn't feel free to move me to the correct one. Anyways, I live in Atlanta, Georgia and I'm a 15 year old working on creating a band. My bandmates and I have already written some songs, and we've been practicing. But where do we go from there? When should we record? How should we get shows? Any help from more experienced musicians would be fantastic. I really appreciate it.
Practice practice practice until you have your material down pat with the whole band. Then start booking some shows and save up for some studio time
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
What my band does is write songs and record them right away. I have a bunch of cheap recording stuff, you might want to look into the same. If you get good enough you won't even have to go to a studio
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
get shows right away, even if you dont think youre prepared. Youll never think youre prepared. Record after youve done enough shows as to where you know what the crowds respond to better

Errr.....close.

Get enough songs down first to book gigs, ideally 30-45 mins (time it) for an originals band, at which point you book gigs.

If you don't get the music down first, you'll end up with another thread here going "I only have 3 songs and a gig tomorrow".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Errr.....close.

Get enough songs down first to book gigs, ideally 30-45 mins (time it) for an originals band, at which point you book gigs.

If you don't get the music down first, you'll end up with another thread here going "I only have 3 songs and a gig tomorrow".

Pretty much this. You want to make sure you have a good set length before getting shows. You don't need to go overboard, but you do need between 30 and 45 minutes about for your first few (or many) gigs. Don't forget you may be doing a bit of talking between songs, but make sure the songs are down and you have enough to work with before booking gigs.

My 2nd gig is tomorrow and we have 5 originals, 1 cover, and a few minute interlude which is also an original. It's not a long set, but it's long enough for the show we're at, which also has a bigger band from our area.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Hey thank you all so much for the responses! They really help. But there's one thing that still worries me: since our band is comprised solely of teenagers, I'm afraid people won't take us seriously, whether in looking for gigs or in recording. Do you have any suggestions as to what we could do to gain respect, I guess?
Many many bands are teenagers, people who handle booking gigs and recording studios will be used to it.
Quote by TastefulFunk
Hey thank you all so much for the responses! They really help. But there's one thing that still worries me: since our band is comprised solely of teenagers, I'm afraid people won't take us seriously, whether in looking for gigs or in recording. Do you have any suggestions as to what we could do to gain respect, I guess?

If you can play good enought it shouldn't be a problem
Quote by stevo_92
What my band does is write songs and record them right away. I have a bunch of cheap recording stuff, you might want to look into the same. If you get good enough you won't even have to go to a studio

What kind of recording stuff do you use? I don't know much about home recording but that seems like a great option if we could pull it off.
Quote by TastefulFunk

The crowd will respect you nonetheless. They see that you are teens and they think "these kids have the balls to play on stage" and will mutually respect you. Just don't act too nervous and don't forget to talk a bit to the crowd.

I wish you luck
Hey just remembered something really important

At what kind of places should we look to get our first shows? I know we can't just go to full-fleshed venues first, but where do we go? I really appreciate it!
Quote by TastefulFunk
Hey just remembered something really important

At what kind of places should we look to get our first shows? I know we can't just go to full-fleshed venues first, but where do we go? I really appreciate it!

ANYWHERE ... i know a lot of coffee shops that do full bands on weekends and other places like that so you never know where you can find a gig ... Just search around
Quote by neidnarb11890
Image is about having hot licks & rock star swag, not fancy amps.

Quote by garden of grey
That's what the Illuminati wants you to think, man