I learned the major and minor pentatonic scales to start, and I've made some pretty nice licks and stuff while improvising, but I'm at a point where I absolutely can't play anything new, it seems like the same stuff over and over again. And I know that people are going to tell me to think of what sounds good in my head, but the problem is, i can't even make something up in my head that doesn't sound the same as what I already played.

So does anyone have any advice in how to think of new and fresh ideas? Maybe I should play around with some more scales? Listen to more music?
When I was stuck running over my major/minor pentatonics over and over, I learned the mixolydian scale in a few different positions and that really opened things up for me. Also, YouTube is a godsend for learning a few quick licks, and maybe sprouting a few new ideas.
I say both, listen to alot of music, I always go through youtube and other websites trying to find new bands to check out, Learn new scales and work on them as well. Also something that has worked for me in the past when I'm stagnant in my playing is i'll simply not play for a while. Put the guitar down for a couple days (as crazy as it sounds) and just wait till youre having withdrawals. I always come back playing like a fiend for hours and usually come up with a few descent riffs/licks that I didn't even think I had in me.
Throw a capo on a random fret and screw around with scales that would include open strings. I always love thinking up new stuff with open strings.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I wholeheartedly recommend listening to music that involves the guitar as little as possible. Listen to some piano music or jazz violin passages or something that doesn't involve a guitar. Then try to emulate those melodies on guitar. Personally, I've started listening to Afro-Cuban rhythm bands to try to add some new rhythmic devices to my repertoire.
Quote by snubbie
And I know that people are going to tell me to think of what sounds good in my head, but the problem is, i can't even make something up in my head that doesn't sound the same as what I already played.

How's your ear? Have you tried singing lines and then playing them?

So does anyone have any advice in how to think of new and fresh ideas? Maybe I should play around with some more scales? Listen to more music?

I hate the way most guitarists default answer to feeling stuck is "I know, I'll learn a new scale."

I think you should listen to more music. I think you should pick a solo that you really like, that doesn't sound like the stuff you've been playing, and transcribe it. That should get you out of your default patterns.

(If you can't do this, the problem is your ear, plain and simple).