I've been toying with the idea of buying or building a 2 X 12 cab to be powered by my 6505+ 112. I might even convert the 112 into a head.

Anyway, I've got an Eminence Governor and my stock Sheffield speaker and I thought they might go together well in a 2 X 12 cab. Thing is, most cabs I find are already loaded with speakers and I just don't have that kind of cash right now, nor do I want to try selling off speakers that I don't need.

So I found these unloaded Seismic cabs:

http://www.nextag.com/Seismic-Audio-2x12-EMPTY-701421157/prices-html

Any thoughts?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
They're nice birch ply cabs. They're open back, so there isn't much to design. I picked up one as a gigging cab for the smaller stuff. If it gets ringed up or stolen or falls off the truck I wouldn't mind.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^^Cool, thanks. So build quality is good? Do you think I'd be able to fashion a back for it to see if I like a closed vs. open back?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
^^Cool, thanks. So build quality is good? Do you think I'd be able to fashion a back for it to see if I like a closed vs. open back?

if he says falling out of his truck and wouldn't mind its probably not his favorite.

open back cabs are engineered to have air essentially entering and leaving the back of the cab as the speaker operates (this goes to the extreme with subs where you can watch the travel at say 30hz's and feel air out of a port).

you close the back, you change the sound. the speakers will won't generally operate to the full potential due to volume of cab not being what it is engineered to be. it will likely impact your tone.

in short NO you probably wouldn't want to close the back.

edit: guitar speakers aren't as picky as other types of speakers though, it likely wouldn't damage anything, jut your tone would change.

convertible cabs also exist. they are nice, you can use them closed and they are designed to have part of the back open the right amount for the right cabinet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 16, 2012,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if he says falling out of his truck and wouldn't mind its probably not his favorite.

open back cabs are engineered to have air essentially entering and leaving the back of the cab as the speaker operates (this goes to the extreme with subs where you can watch the travel at say 30hz's and feel air out of a port).

you close the back, you change the sound. the speakers will won't generally operate to the full potential due to volume of cab not being what it is engineered to be. it will likely impact your tone.

edit: guitar speakers aren't as picky as other types of speakers though, it likely wouldn't damage anything, jut your tone would change.

convertible cabs also exist. they are nice, you can use them closed and they are designed to have part of the back open the right amount for the right cabinet.

It's not my favorite cab, but it's not the worst one I've ever played either. I have Emperor, whitebox, mesa and engl cabs to compare it to....

If it was stolen or broken down, I probably would buy another one. Heck, I'm planning to buy another one for kicks. The build quality is good, and it's pretty sturdy, but for $140 or whatever it was, it wouldn't bring me to tears if it died, because I can get one cheap.

As far as closing it, I wouldn't. Open backs are usually designed with keeping the size small, not with things like excursion and q ratings.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Oh, I'm aware of how it changes the tone. Ever since I installed my Eminence speaker it just lacked the low-end balls of my Sheffield. So I removed the back to see how it would sound and the low-end returned but it has maintained clarity all the way to the top.

What puzzles me is the Sheffield had plenty of low end even with the closed back; I hadn't thought two speakers could be that different from each other. Maybe with the two of them together in a closed back they'd cover the best of both worlds.

I think I might try to build one myself, just copying either a Mesa or Orange 2X 12 cab.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood