I have a band and our drummer has a marshall halfstack he's been letting me use, but I don't want to become reliant on it due to his unreliability when it comes to showing up late at gigs and whatnot. I want an amp that can do like a small auditorium sort of gig. is this amp loud enough? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-frontman-212r-100w-2x12-guitar-combo-amp/481601000001000
Depending on what you consider small but yes. Easily if it's the same small I think of.

I hate to be devil's advocate but for that price you can get a used 15w tube amp which should be enough for a "small gig".
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
That amp will be loud enough but I would definitely advise not getting it. You can get a better amp for $300.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I have what I believe is a 10W tube amp already, I just want something that does loud, and lots of it.
MF has sold those FM's for 199.99 before so I don't know why they're on for 300 bones. Maybe it's a new model or something. The amp is loud but if you're not playing jazz or softer blues I really wouldn't recommend it.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
then perhaps a better recommendation? I play alot of darker metal, alot of ozzy, hammerfall, black sabbath. sometimes I'll creep into some classic rock or even a bit of light distortion latin like that of santana.
Quote by Viban
then perhaps a better recommendation? I play alot of darker metal, alot of ozzy, hammerfall, black sabbath. sometimes I'll creep into some classic rock or even a bit of light distortion latin like that of santana.

Well, im considering your budget is around $300 so the best I can recommend is a Peavey Vypyr. But if you give us more information, like location, new/used, and exact budget we can probably recommend you a good amp for your situation.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I have no problem with going used, I can find used fairly easy, I've just heard one too many people talk about buying an amp on CL playing for a few hours and having it overheat and stop working on them. plus its kinda slim pickings up here, not the worst selection, but not exactly desolate I suppose.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca20h-and-jca12s-half-stack/584695000000000

Use the coupon they have on the site and I believe it's free shipping too. $305 and absolute win. You can always upgrade to a bigger cab to fill the room a little more as well.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Where are you from? They go for even cheaper used. Also what music do you play? And what's you current amp?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
If all you're using it for is gigs, then it'll be fine. No one's going to be able to differentiate the difference between a frontman and a JCM. Audience's ears are shit.

Having said that though, what genres does your band play? An FM might not suit the style needed.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
If all you're using it for is gigs, then it'll be fine. No one's going to be able to differentiate the difference between a frontman and a JCM. Audience's ears are shit.

Having said that though, what genres does your band play? An FM might not suit the style needed.

Still, I'd rather get something kinda decent if I'm going to be hearing it all night.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Still, I'd rather get something kinda decent if I'm going to be hearing it all night.

If it's for your own sake then sure, spend some more.

But I would much rather be able to bring some $300 okay-ish amp to a gig that's portable and replaceable that wouldn't matter too much if it got damaged or nicked compared to my $1500 baby.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
What genres do you play?

For goodness sake just tell us.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
What genres do you play?

For goodness sake just tell us.

big +1

and what size or room do you have to fill? 1000 sqft? how many people do you think will be there?

assuming there isn't a house PA since you are searching out 100 watt amps for everything, you would most likely be having to turn it up. it would be very loud. if the house does have a PA, you don't need much more than 15 watts, even 5 really. you will be mic'ing the amps anyways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ TS already said that he plays "ozzy, hammerfall, black sabbath."

TS, pick up a ValveKing 212 on CL. You might even be able to find a halfstack on there for $300, depending on how desperate the seller is.

Speaking from experience, a single speaker isn't going to cut it, unmic'd. You need at least 2. a half stack would be a lot better. A single speaker just cannot push enough air to full a large space.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ TS already said that he plays "ozzy, hammerfall, black sabbath."

TS, pick up a ValveKing 212 on CL. You might even be able to find a halfstack on there for $300, depending on how desperate the seller is.

Speaking from experience, a single speaker isn't going to cut it, unmic'd. You need at least 2. a half stack would be a lot better. A single speaker just cannot push enough air to full a large space.

forgot about that part after reading the thread. not enough damn sleep.

will you be mic'd or not. that is the question as far as i am concerned.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Depending on your pedalboard, an amp like that would be an OK choice. Basically, you'd just set a nice "base" clean tone and use your pedals to do the rest of the work.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The size of the gig is irrelevant, all that matters is how loud your drummer is. If the drummer is playing with brushes then you could get away with a 5W tube amp. If he thinks he's Alex Van Halen and has arms like tree trunks and couldn't play softly to save his life you are going to want around a 50W tube amp.
A Frontman 100W 212 will keep up with any drummer short of King Kong using train carriages as drumsticks. It won't sound that good though. Well the cleans are acceptable on the frontman but you're going to have to rely on pedals for everything else.
A used Valveking would be a decent option, especially if you do a speaker swap.
Peavey Vyper Tube 60 is another option
Maybe a Traynor.
If you look around you can often score a Peavey Ultra/XXX for that sort of price in the States.
Bugera make a few that would suit if you can bring yourself to buy an amp made by Behringer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 17, 2012,
he is very loud indeed,this would be an unmiked gig. and i think the max seating cap is like 480 people
Well that's the way to tell. If the drummer will fill the room unmiked and you can keep up with the drummer then you will fill the room too won't you? If he can't fill the room then he'll be miked and in which case so will you.
So if you can keep up with him at rehearsal you're sweet.
If you can, go hire the amp you are thinking of buying, take it to band practice and you'll know right away if it's the right amp for the job.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification