Page 4 of 6
Quote by Jehannum

2. The Grandfather Paradox. If this creates an 'alternate timeline' then it's parallel universes, not time travel.

This isn't strictly true. It's still time travel into the past, but it's the actions in the past by the time traveller that creates the parallel universe.

Think of it like normal traveling, call Manchester the present, Burnley the past and Blackurn a parallel universe.

What you are suggesting is akin to saying that if you try to travel from Manchester to Burnley, you will end up in Blackburn without actualy reaching Burnley, in reality, it would be more like traveling from Manchester to Burnley but being unable to get back to Manchester because you could not avoid Blackburn.

Which itself isn't necessarily strictly true either, if the time traveler does nothing to change the past while he's there, then he should be able to return to the same future that he left behind.
my solution to the grandfather paradox
you would constantly move into parallel dimensions as you "changed" things. time would seem to realign itself in the sense that the problems you would cause would end up having solutions for them.

on another note.
if i went and killed myself before i went back into the future. i would still be there, in that parallel universe, i was just killed by my parallel self. theres nothing wrong with that. i still went there from another dimension where i successfully time traveled.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
my solution to the grandfather paradox
you would constantly move into parallel dimensions as you "changed" things. time would seem to realign itself in the sense that the problems you would cause would end up having solutions for them.

on another note.
if i went and killed myself before i went back into the future. i would still be there, in that parallel universe, i was just killed by my parallel self. theres nothing wrong with that. i still went there from another dimension where i successfully time traveled.

not actually time travel

Edit sorry i am an idiot
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
not actually time travel

Edit sorry i am an idiot

nah, youre pretty awesome, your rap in my fail rhyming thread was as dope as kurt cobains left arm.
I prefer the way of thinking that says time travel is only possible in an era where the technology for it exists. i.e.

when time travel is invented that is point zero it's impossible to travel to before point zero as there is no reference point for the technology to "lock onto". So only forwards time travel is possible, or travelling into the past as far as point zero.
Quote by Jostry
If it were possible we would be having visits from our future selves.

logical fallacy; just because you haven't seen a visit, doesn't mean you can't visit, and it also doesn't mean nobody has visited

assuming somebody did succeed in creating a machine that can travel through time, the government would make it so illegal that it would be right up there with human cloning, due to the fact that going back in time could change history and therefore the present as we know it, causing us to travel through the parallel universes.

maybe they created an observation device.

also, just for shits and giggles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3qesTjOE8
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
nah, youre pretty awesome, your rap in my fail rhyming thread was as dope as kurt cobains left arm.

If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Or someone discovered the time machine and went way back in time and built the universe how they wanted and that is what we are living in now...so the people in power are going to be in constant control.

Zenith anyone?
There are time travel that suggest that not only is time travel possible, but we'd only be able to go back to when the time machine was first turned on. Also, scientists think its very possible to small particle back in time. If this were true people would be able to send small coded messages into the past. But once again, no further in in the past than when the machine was turned on.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Some of the aliens that visit us are really humans from the future on vacation.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by iplayat11
There are time travel that suggest that not only is time travel possible, but we'd only be able to go back to when the time machine was first turned on. Also, scientists think its very possible to small particle back in time. If this were true people would be able to send small coded messages into the past. But once again, no further in in the past than when the machine was turned on.

It's alright, We told you what to dream.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
explain memory gaps when drunk.
that's timetravel for you.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
If time travel were possible, trust me, only a few people would know about it. And maybe it's better off that way.
It's possible that we just live in a super boring time.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's possible that we just live in a super boring time.

It's true. Who would want to come to the 21st century? There are way cooler places and times, like the late Hadean eon or the Mesozoic era to see dinosaurs or ancient Egypt or whatever, all way better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by shredbeyndshred
thanx man you rule hong siah

Quote by Scourge
thanks, Hong Siah... now im gonna have nightmares about my balls being ripped apart while in mid fall from a building window.

#47 member of Alter Bridge Rocks club
#40 member of The Linkin Park Rocks Club
I'm saying this after not reading any other posts so sorry if it's a repeat.

If there was a time travel "machine," it could only go back to the point at which it was created. That in and of itself creates a problem. An ACTUAL theory is that once a time travel machine is created, there would be an infinite amount of people coming back in time to avoid the fate of whatever befalls them in the extreme distant future. If one supports a multiverse theory in which every possible thing ever has happened and for each of those possibilities another universe was "created," then maybe we're in a universe where we never discover time travel and another universe in the multiverse was destroyed instead. AND, if every action creates another universe with every possibility ever, then we don't have to worry about it because they'd go to another universe! Bleh.

Sorry for the run-on sentences but it gets a little crazy. Theories inside theories...theory-ception....
Last edited by gsd65 at Feb 17, 2012,
Well,imagine if a time machine was ever built, we could find a way to stop tragedies such as this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_murders

Of course imo,just because the technology is not understood doesn't mean it cannot be done. Like people once thought that Nuclear energy could never be done.
Last edited by Axelfox at Feb 17, 2012,
Quote by devourke
It wouldn't be worth the risk just to speed up something that had already happened. There is no reason at all to speed up progress that happened in the past.

And if it's already happened, wouldn't your current present reflect the change that you are about to/already did make in the past?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Axelfox
Well,imagine if a time machine was ever built, we could find a way to stop tragedies such as this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_murders

Of course imo,just because the technology is not understood doesn't mean it cannot be done. Like people once thought that Nuclear energy could never be done.

That just taught me that if I was to go postal I should pick somewhere with an awesome name so my shooting gets an awesome name.
Quote by SG_dave
That just taught me that if I was to go postal I should pick somewhere with an awesome name so my shooting gets an awesome name.

Last edited by Axelfox at Feb 17, 2012,
Quote by SG_dave

Fucking, Austria is the only real choice.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
ITT, people describe sci-fi plots as though they're theses.

New question. Which time travel is better? Back to the future time travel where you can create alternate time lines; or Bill and Ted (Time Traveller's wife) time travel where all the paradoxes are accounted for?
Or how about if you go back into time and kill Hitler,when he was a baby?
Quote by Axelfox
Or how about if you go back into time and kill Hitler,when he was a baby?

They did that on the Twilight Zone. It really didn't work out all that well.
The first issue with time travel is demolecularisation. The final issue is remolecularisation.

Since we are currently incapable of remolecularisation, we simply do not have a conduit by which any time travel could be rebuilt on this side of their travel.

Thus, time travel is currently impossible.
Quote by Colohue
The first issue with time travel is demolecularisation. The final issue is remolecularisation.

Since we are currently incapable of remolecularisation, we simply do not have a conduit by which any time travel could be rebuilt on this side of their travel.

My head hurts.
Quote by psyks
ITT, people describe sci-fi plots as though they're theses.

New question. Which time travel is better? Back to the future time travel where you can create alternate time lines; or Bill and Ted (Time Traveller's wife) time travel where all the paradoxes are accounted for?

The second one for real. It's the only really cool thing about Harry Potter.

Oh and Time Bandits. That movie ****ing rules! I'm not sure what kind of time travel that is.

Currently impossible? There's seems to be something odd about that when we're talking about time travel...
Quote by snipelfritz
The second one for real. It's the only really cool thing about Harry Potter.

That was the worst thing about Harry Potter.

Even Rowling said she wishes she never included it in the book.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Rowling also said that Dumbledore was gay for no reason whatsoever. I'm not sure her judgment is to be trusted in general.
Quote by snipelfritz
Rowling also said that Dumbledore was gay for no reason whatsoever. I'm not sure her judgment is to be trusted in general.

For no reason? Read the books again, there are subtle things about him that mean it makes good sense that he'd be gay. Not least his backstory as regards Grindelwald.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
For no reason? Read the books again, there are subtle things about him that mean it makes good sense that he'd be gay. Not least his backstory as regards Grindelwald.

I like to think he didn't really care about Harry defeating Voldemort at all and was just trying to get into his pants, er, robes?

"Oh, Harry, let me show you how to handle your magic wand..."

I got distracted and came back to this post. I forgot if I had a point or if I was just joking around at this point. Either way, I like the concept that any changes made to the past have already happened and led you to the point where you go back in time. That is you can change the past, but it has already been changed since it's the past.
Quote by snipelfritz
I like to think he didn't really care about Harry defeating Voldemort at all and was just trying to get into his pants, er, robes?

"Oh, Harry, let me show you how to handle your magic wand..."

I got distracted and came back to this post. I forgot if I had a point or if I was just joking around at this point. Either way, I like the concept that any changes made to the past have already happened and led you to the point where you go back in time. That is you can change the past, but it has already been changed since it's the past.

Stop talking about Harry Potter guys. This thread's too good to be derailed.

OT: I heard demolecularisation and remolecularisation takes the energy of a sun to do.
So... time travel is pretty hard to do.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Quote by Colohue

You say this like you know that time travel would work on a molecular level, and not a base energy level.