So today at work I found out that when I first started working there my employers forgot to give me the sheet to sign up for our union. I received the slip today and it says that by signing it I'm aware of the fees and dues of the union, and will pay them. So my question is--since I never officially signed this document and have been paying the union without ever giving consent, is it possible to get that money back? And if so, would it even be worth the potential hassle? (all in all I have paid about $600).
Quote by Orryn
It seems we don't ship products to where you are located. Perhaps if you make your way to our office in Somalia, we would be able to work something out.

Regardless of whether you come or not, we thank you for your bank details and cooperation.
Not enough info. Did they deduct the dues from your paycheck? Can you prove it?
PM me for newts
Have them backdate your application to the union, i.e. you should be considered a part of the union since you started paying dues. If they don't acknowledge that, have them return the money. If they won't, sue 'em.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by StewieSwan
Not enough info. Did they deduct the dues from your paycheck? Can you prove it?

They did deduct it from my paycheck, and I can prove it, that's how I found out how much I have paid.

Quote by darkstar2466
Have them backdate your application to the union, i.e. you should be considered a part of the union since you started paying dues. If they don't acknowledge that, have them return the money. If they won't, sue 'em.

Backdate means to find out when I officially signed to the union, right? So technically if I never did that, they would have to return the money?
Quote by Orryn
It seems we don't ship products to where you are located. Perhaps if you make your way to our office in Somalia, we would be able to work something out.

Regardless of whether you come or not, we thank you for your bank details and cooperation.
Quote by the_triangle
Backdate means to find out when I officially signed to the union, right? So technically if I never did that, they would have to return the money?

You do have to get technical here. Find out if you were automatically part of the union when you signed on to the job and if they were considering you to be a part of the union since you started getting union dues cut from your paycheck. If you are not listed as a union member, they are unfairly taking money away from your paycheck. If filling out that paper means you are considered a part of the union from the date you sign that document, it definitely means that they have been ripping you off.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
You do have to get technical here. Find out if you were automatically part of the union when you signed on to the job and if they were considering you to be a part of the union since you started getting union dues cut from your paycheck. If you are not listed as a union member, they are unfairly taking money away from your paycheck. If filling out that paper means you are considered a part of the union from the date you sign that document, it definitely means that they have been ripping you off.

Ok I'll find all this out. On the sheet it says "This certifies that I, _____, hereby apply for membership of the above named union....." it goes on to say that I will fulfill my duty as a union member and I am aware of the fees/dues. If I am listed as a union member could I still do something about that because I never applied and was never aware of these fees? Because wouldn't technically it be wrong to sign me up for something that's costing me money, without me ever signing up?
Quote by Orryn

Quote by the_triangle
Because wouldn't technically it be wrong to sign me up for something that's costing me money, without me ever signing up?

Were you aware or under the impression that you were part of the union? Go talk to your union representative and see if you have been considered a union member this whole time. If they've been considering you a part of it and you signing this paper is now just a technicality, then everything is okay. If you never acknowledged being a union member or were unaware of union dues until you were presented this document and they've been subtracting dues this whole time, then you've been ripped off. Find out which one.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Were you aware or under the impression that you were part of the union? Go talk to your union representative and see if you have been considered a union member this whole time. If they've been considering you a part of it and you signing this paper is now just a technicality, then everything is okay. If you never acknowledged being a union member or were unaware of union dues until you were presented this document and they've been subtracting dues this whole time, then you've been ripped off. Find out which one.

Well to be fair I have been under the impression that I've been in the union, I'm just a cheap guy
Quote by Orryn

Quote by the_triangle
Well to be fair I have been under the impression that I've been in the union, I'm just a cheap guy

Then in all fairness, just sign the paper and continue. Unions exist in your favor - don't try to use a technicality to get money back that you intended to pay anyway.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Then in all fairness, just sign the paper and continue. Unions exist in your favor - don't try to use a technicality to get money back that you intended to pay anyway.

Yea that sounds fair enough to me, I guess I shouldn't be a dick because Unions actually work for the people to protect rights.

GO UNIONS!
Quote by Orryn