looking at acoustics. which of these two do u reccomend. around 500-600 australian dollars?
The guitar shop I work with just started carrying Lag guitars. We have 4 models in right now all about 400-600 USD. I have got to say, I LOVE the way they feel. They are a really great sounding guitar too.

Before carrying them I didn't even know they existed, but I'd say you can't go wrong with one. Really fantastic guitars.

I dont know much about seagull guitars...
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
i definitely prefer seagull - preferably the original s6. great sounding, well made.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have never, ever played a bad seagull. Could you give some examples of the models your 500-600 can afford?
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
right now i can only afford the s6 and the entourage. I'm thinking about the lag as i can afford a electric cutaway as opposed to just a standard acoustic with seagull
Well, the S6 is what put seagull on the map. It is their flagship model, so to speak.

I have owned the 20th anniversary model, the S6, the entourage jumbo, and the 25th anniversary model (in order of value) and they've all been great guitars.

I know nothing about Lag but they seem to be popular around here.

Any chance you could play em first?
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I got to play both brands in a store yesterday and much preferred the Seagull brand. They felt more solid and were better sounding imo.

I am convinced that I'll pick up a Seagull acoustic, but will have to choose between the S6, with cutaway or something slightly more expensive like the Maritime SWS which felt terrific.

The cheapest S6 is €400 here and the cheapest with cutaway around €550. How far is the cutaway out of your price range?

Of course try both brands out yourself if you can.
the cutaway seagull is 230 dollars above my range. It's a big price increase for the electronics and the cutaway. Do u know any other brands/models that are a bit more in my price range. I'd prefer non chinese but that seems to be impossible at this stage.
It seems like you want a D style cutaway acoustic-electric non-Asian $500 guitar. In USD$, the Seagull Entourage CWQIT has it all - but I don’t know how this translates to Australian. When you add Asian-made to the mix, you’ve picked a hugely popular category with so many choices it makes your head spin. Epi, Takamine, Washburn, Dean, Fender, Ibanez, Lag and many more - all the way down to $200.

If it were me-and I couldn’t spring for the ‘gull, I would look at Washburn models first, then Tak, then go with best you can afford (important to play them first if possible). I played a $600 Lag with all of these features and liked it ok. I have a Seagull S12 (12 string) that sounds great - and records better than any other acoustic I’ve owned, which I suspect is a characteristic of the cedar top.

Beyond that, I don’t have first hand experience with any of these specific guitars. However, there’s a small music store near here that focuses more on acoustic instruments. I respect the opinions of the store owners – they sell Martin and Washburn.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Art and Lutherie is another Godin subsidiary like Seagull and also make guitars in Canada. They are a bit more budget minded supposedly, but the one I played on the weekend felt quite reasonable. I didn't really put the time into testing it however as I had my heart set of a Seagull at that point.

No idea on the availability where you live, but over here the cutaway model goes for around €390, €500 with electronics. Might be worth a look, though at €500 it is well in the Seagull price range.
Quote by Mars Rover
I have a Seagull S12 (12 string) that sounds great - and records better than any other acoustic I’ve owned, which I suspect is a characteristic of the cedar top.
I suspect a cedar top might be just the thing for a 12. Quite a bit more mellow than spruce.
Quote by Captaincranky
I suspect a cedar top might be just the thing for a 12. Quite a bit more mellow than spruce.

Yeah I think the cedar top is good for 12 strings – maybe in more ways than one. I was concerned how cedar would handle the string tension but in the 8 or 10 years I’ve had it, the top hasn’t budged a bit from what I can tell. I keep it tuned standard, no case, humidified in the winter. The action is nice and low and easy for a 12. The Seagull neck is a bit wide but string spacing is perfect for a 12, I think.

Some say Guild makes a fine 12-string – but I’ve owned two pre-Fender Guild 6-strings (a 1972 D25 and a 1980 D4) that both got to the point of requiring neck re-sets (that I didn’t bother with). So I don’t think I’d get a Guild 12–or any other Guild again.

That being said, I’m about 75% sure that I’m going to sell the S12 soon. Just don’t use it enough. But then it would be hard to replace it for a reasonable price in the future so I don’t know.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
yeah, the seagull and the Godins are looking pretty bleak. It's way too expensive to for my blood. The lag is looking pretty clear atm. I did browse through Washburn's range. It just lacked the "wow" factor. I really like some of their 2012 releases but i suspect they will be a while before they hit australian retailers. How are the Breedlove passport guitars. does anyone have any experience or thoughts?