OK so been looking at trading up and getting a new guitar since i have been saving and happen now to have a bit of spare cash around its time to invest in another guitar but proving hard to choose between the classics

guitars i fancy getting and have tried are

fender american deluxe hss strat
fender american deluxe tele
gibson les paul traditional pro
gibson les paul classic custom
or
gibson studio

i have played them all and loved them all and if i had lots of cash which i dont i would get a strat a tele and a les paul but looking for you good peoples opinions on them all

so come on lets find out which wins
oh i play everything from blues to hard rock/metal

so which would you choose and why ??????
I would pick the Les Paul Traditional Pro, but that's just because I don't like Strats and Teles and I prefer RW over BM (and I don't really like the Studios). Can't really compare those. Apples and oranges.
If you only have one guitar, you must have a Stratocaster.

Reasonable minds may differ.

Sadly, they are mistaken.

Besides, if you buy a Gibson where will Slash spend his extra cash?
Smile when you say that.
Well, which one sounds better?

Teles are bright with a lot of twang
Les Pauls are dark with lots of honk
Strats are somewhere in the middle with some quack.

For the heavier stuff, a Les Paul is probably going to be better because of the darker sounding body woods and the humbuckers.

For blues and the lighter stuff, strats and teles will probably be better because of the single coils - you can get the old school Hendrix and SRV sound, and some country stuff with the tele.

In my opinion, the HSS strat will be the more versatile guitar because it has both humbuckers and single coils, as where the Les Paul only has humbuckers, and the Tele only has single coils.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
one of the gibsons i was looking at and fancied had the whole split coil button thingy to get the single coil sound now i didnt try it out but think thats more of a gimick type of thing thing is i like the sound of them all thats where the problem lies if i could i would buy them all lol
This is like trying to decide whether you want a 4x4 SUV or an Italian sportscar. You're comparing completely different things. They don't even have the same scale length or type of bridge or even pickups!

It sounds to me like you don't actually know how to really define your own playing. In which case, play more and have a serious think about what you use and what you want. If you buy a guitar like this without being absolutely sure it does what you need it to do then most likely it'll bite you in the arse in a few months and you'll be trading it in for a different model.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
This is like trying to decide whether you want a 4x4 SUV or an Italian sportscar. You're comparing completely different things. They don't even have the same scale length or type of bridge or even pickups!

It sounds to me like you don't actually know how to really define your own playing. In which case, play more and have a serious think about what you use and what you want. If you buy a guitar like this without being absolutely sure it does what you need it to do then most likely it'll bite you in the arse in a few months and you'll be trading it in for a different model.

agreed.

depending on how you play (and what you play more of), any one of those guitars could suffice (I could personally use a modded tele for most anything, but I can't play much on a strat) or all three of them together could be inadequate.

you really need to take some time and decide what you need your guitar to do. from there, you can narrow down options by reading professional reviews as well as user reviews. the more you know before buying a guitar, the happier you'll be with your purchase.