which do you prefer? Melody or Brutality?
give examples too

I prefer Melody

Melody example: System of a Down
I don't know if I prefer one over the other, they're both pretty good.

An example of both: Arch Enemy
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Melody is one of the most basic musical concepts (as are rhythm harmony etc). All music has melody.

"Brutality" is an adjective to describe a perceived quality in the music.

I don't want to rain on your parade but the concepts aren't really on the same scale. You don't go from Melody on one end to Brutal on the other.

You can make a melodic piece brootal through changing tone orchestration and arrangement.

i guess though if it did somehow come down to a choice between "melody" and "brutality" I would choose melody.

e.g. Music.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 16, 2012,
so basically you're asking me to choose between bach and atilla the hun.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I think TS is wondering if people prefer a more melodic approach to metal (like Iron Maiden) or a more power chord chugging approach. But even the power chord chugging approach does have melody in it, it's just not as apparent.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Both?
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
There should be (or might be already) a name for questions that offer a choice between two non-opposed entities. It's hard to give any kind of meaningful answer to them.

Melody has its place. 'Brutal' music also has its place. Sometimes it's the same place.
/implying you cannot have a brutal melody

Shostakovich's signature, D-Eb, C, B, is a very "Brutal" individual set of notes, but its also a great melody.

I prefer Cannibal Corpse. I absolutely love the melodic chromatic lines.
They're both great. I love Mahler's Br00talz in Eb major.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Life Is Brutal
You sir, just won.

EVERYTHING.

Have you heard the new track? Its sick.

Just listened to it now; I haven't been paying that much attention to the metal world these past 6 months. Nice stuff though. Also that is one of the baddest covers I've ever seen.
Opeth ftw...?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame