Hey everyone, i decided to take off the EMG's from my jackson ( DKMGT ) and install a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position. I want your help on the pots and stuff... What do i need? I may have read that i need to buy 500k pots but im not sure. And do i need to change the 3-way switch too?

Oh, and what is the difference of a normal humbucker and a trembucker? i cant find an answer anywhere.

Thanks.
I am a signature.
The switch is fine, you can change the pots if you want but whatever you have in there now will work.

The difference between a trembucker (or F-spaced) and standard spacing is that the pole pieces are spaced differently. Get a trembucker if your guitar has a tremolo.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
trembucker is humbucker for neck position with different spacing between the pole pieces. Humbuckers are made fo 49mm spacing (gibson LP), trembuckers are for 52.6mm (floyd rose). In general, if you measure between the middle of the low E string and the middle of the high E string directly over the pickup, if the distance is greater than 50mm(or 2") you use trembucker, if it's less than 50mm (or 2") you use humbucker source: Seymoure Duncan
great, thanks guys! Ok, so got that covered... As far as the pots go, it will work as you say ( thanks for that btw, i couldnt get a straight answer for a long time ) will it make any difference in the sound if i leave the pots i have now? I've heard that installing passives with 250k pots ( which im assuming i have now since the guitar came with EMG's ) will affect the pickups, making them sound brighter or something... is that true?
I am a signature.
The current pots will technically work, but it'll sound terrible. The pickups will sound muted and will have unusually low output.

For passive humbuckers, 500k controls are recommended. 1meg controls will give a brighter sound than usual and 250k controls will give a more mellow tone (250k is the standard for single coil pickups). Bear in mind that the number of controls your guitar has matters; a single 250k control effects the tone about as much as two 500k controls and one 500k control effects the tone about as much as two 1meg controls do. Active pickups use 25k or 50k controls, which are obviously quite different the the values passive pickups should use.

Bear in mind when you switch to passive you'll need to add some grounding. Active pickups do not require the guitar's bridge to be grounded, but passive pickups do or you'll get a lot of noise.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ok, im sure thats something a tech would have to do, i am a total noob when it comes to soldering, grounding and whatnot. My guitar has one volume knob, one tone knob and a three-way switch, so i'll have to install two 500k pots and some grounding. Thanks man! I appreciate your help!
I am a signature.
Quote by MrFlibble
Active pickups use 25k or 50k controls, which are obviously quite different the the values passive pickups should use.

oh shoot I had it in my head that active pickups used 1M pots for some reason.
Yeah OP you're gonna want to make sure you have 500K pots.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Bear in mind that the number of controls your guitar has matters; a single 250k control effects the tone about as much as two 500k controls and one 500k control effects the tone about as much as two 1meg controls do.(Invalid img)
Keep in mind, passives need to be grounded to the bridge - EMG's dont. Depending on the guitar manufacturer, the EMG's may be grounded to the bridge, or the bridge may already be wired, and all you have to do is locate that loose wire and solder it to the circuit.

Youtube has a lot of vids on how to wire up guitars. Also do a search for grounding the bridge.

Here's a good read on tone caps. Depending on your setup, you may want to add them to the circuit to tweak your tone...

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx