tap 12 5h8h10

I tap by ..tapping the 12th fret. then just like the pull-off motion, I flick it downward.

Well my teacher saw me and was like... "no no.. you don't do it like that. tapping is done by an upward motion.

can someone explain to me the advantage of upward motion?

--------
unrelated question. no idea where to post this. HAHAHa this is gonna be weird. I'm a bit weird. i like eating things. i used to put blades in my mouth (safely) but get upset tummy from the metal. i like putting pick (tortex) too, but I'm terrified it is toxic if i swallow . is it? D:
It's because of where your hand is, your tapping hand is coming over the top of the fretboard so your fingers are facing the opposite way to the fretting hand, which is why you flick upwards, because your finger's doing the same motion as it would for a pull off.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ pretty much said it
The bending of the finger inwards has more control than extending it outwards. I'd also imagine it's quicker and there's less strain (as there is less muscle ass devoted to extending fingers). That is, of course, assuming that you are not moving your whole hand to tap.

Edit: hehe, muscle ass. I meant mass
Last edited by FuzzySalamander at Feb 16, 2012,
I always tapped by flicking outwards, like off the neck, almost as if I was picking the string. Its the best way for me to keep the volume high when I'm not using compressors or anything.
Another habit I have to undo.. also, is tapping recommended on acoustic? I don't have an electric but I like practicing "Hearts Burst Into Fire" by Bullet for My Valentine. I've only had one year of experience. I can tap it clean, but it'll be quiet :/
Quote by ThisIsBS
Another habit I have to undo.. also, is tapping recommended on acoustic? I don't have an electric but I like practicing "Hearts Burst Into Fire" by Bullet for My Valentine. I've only had one year of experience. I can tap it clean, but it'll be quiet :/

Paul Gilbert - Green tinted sixties mind
But how much harder would it be if tapping on both acoustic and electric? (and getting the same tone/volume?) I have small hands lol..
There is no "wrong way" to tap to all the guys worried, flicking the string with the finger is indeed no clean pull up but it has its uses (as you already mentioned it keeps a way higher volume)

Swallowing Tortex.. i dunno.. the tortex picks i had in the past had this coating outside to make them look a certain way and it seemed to come off easily..
i wouldnt recommend it if they are painted.. if its "pure" tortex you might get away with it..

Your safest bet would be acrilyc picks (see V-picks for an example)
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 16, 2012,
You can continue to tap that way if you want, but it's just easier to pull it downwards. Our hands are better at gripping and pulling towards the palm than pushing outwards.
Thanks for the answers guys. I observed a close up of sir gilbert, and indeed his hand doesn't seem to be going downwards. I've never noticed this movements before maybe cuz it just felt so natural to go down. Thanks fuzzy and seagull, I'll try to figure out tapping that way, to try it out

and thanks slashie, )