hi there, first post in a long time but i'm back into earning money and looking to get me a new guitar... been thinking about jags again and i was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the reissued jags, specifically the 62 AVRI jag vs the classic player HH jag? how's the weight, tuning stability, tone? value for money?
i'd be playing punk or hardcore stuff... that's early 80's hardcore, not super breakdown metalcore stuff. mix in with a lil grunge. the usual. nice clean tones would be lovely as i do love a bitta clean guitar and have more than enough fuzz to get the brash sounds out of a pretty sounding guitar.

cheers,
f
for an 80s hardcore sound the HH jag would definitely suit you better but TBH the AVRI series is one of the best that fender make. its usually only made of a 2pc body, which is better than Mexican fender which are from 3pc-7pc bodies. the build quality, hardware and electronics will al be better too but the lack of humbuckers wouldn't suit you.
Don't get me wrong, the HH Jag is an excellent guitar but the AVRI Jag is certainly better. i personally rate fender AVRI guitars better than the american deluxe range.
why is it the HH would be better? just cause it sounds thicker? cause if i'm getting a really nice sound clean then i can let pedals and volume do the rest for me... not the exact same i know but if the difference is that obvious interms of quality then i'd definitely rather get the better guitar than just the one which sounds 'bigger' easier. i do play a lot of cleaner stuff as well.

the thing which had put me off AVRI was i thought i remembered ages ago people used to complain about the bridge being completely useless and a definite that you had to replace.
Last edited by kthxbi at Feb 16, 2012,
Quote by kthxbi
why is it the HH would suit me better? just cause it sounds thicker? cause if i'm getting a really nice sound clean then i can let pedals and volume do the rest for me... not the exact same i know but if the difference is that obvious interms of quality then i'd definitely rather get the better guitar than just the one which sounds 'bigger' easier. i do play a lot of cleaner stuff as well.

the thing which had put me off AVRI was i thought i remembered ages ago people used to complain about the bridge being completely useless and a definite that you had to replace.

if you were to use pedals to make the sound thicker then it'd be cool, but id recommend a noise gate cos: Distortion Pedal + Single Coil = Noisy Pedal + Noisy Pickup = Lots Of Noise.
so getting a good noise get would certainly be ideal but if you're ok with the slightly clearer less punchy sound then go for it, i love single coils on high gain.
Quote by kthxbi
thanks for the advice! bought the AVRI... olympic white =)

yup, i just saw your thread. it looks absolutely stunning! HNGD! i wish i had the money for one of those
maybe next year.

anyway, its an awesome guitar and i wish you the best of luck with it