Hello everybody. I'm new to this board. Came over here from Harmony Central. Too much "hate" on that board for me.

Anyway..........

My main guitar amp a RedBear MK120 has recently started acting up badly and I need to get it checked out.

I live in the North Eastern Illinois / South Eastern Wisconsin Area (like right on the border) and I don't really know of anyone around here that services tube amps. I'll go into Chicago or Milwaukee if I have to. I just don't where to go for good service without getting ripped off.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks !!
Plenty of places in Chicago and Milwaukee. Cream City Music in Milwaukee or Third Coast in Chicago are top-notch and will definitely take care of you.

If you don't mind making the trip up to Madison I'd be happy to take a look myself. Can you describe what's going wrong with it? Depending on what it is I may be able to fix it for the cost of parts.
Quote by gregs1020
hate on HCAF?

Maybe "Hate" was the wrong word. Negativity is probably a better choice.

It just seems that anyone who tries to ask a question about anything over there these days gets answered back with the dumbest replies. It just seems like a very negative place over there these days. Too much arguing and fighting for my tastes.
Quote by RedBear120
Maybe "Hate" was the wrong word. Negativity is probably a better choice.

It just seems that anyone who tries to ask a question about anything over there these days gets answered back with the dumbest replies. It just seems like a very negative place over there these days. Too much arguing and fighting for my tastes.

i was kidding, that place is good for laughs and that's about it.

take it to colin up in madison.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Roc8995

If you don't mind making the trip up to Madison I'd be happy to take a look myself. Can you describe what's going wrong with it? Depending on what it is I may be able to fix it for the cost of parts.

Umm..... whats wrong with it ?

It's a single channel hi/lo input master volume amp. Basically a JCM800 clone.
And the sound has started cutting in and out very loudly when I adjust the pre-amp or master volume controls. I have to like flick the faces of the knobs with the back of my finger to get the sound to come back on after it cuts out (Kinda hard to describe. LoL)

I've heard that this could just be "dirty pots" but they aren't really scratchy or anything when I turn them. They just make the sound cut and pop in and out. Very Loudly. Like louder than the volume on the amp is when the sound goes in and out.
That sounds like dirty pots. Maybe a bad solder joint on them, but a good cleaning will most likely fix it.
Quote by Roc8995
That sounds like dirty pots. Maybe a bad solder joint on them, but a good cleaning will most likely fix it.

Hmmm..... I wonder if this is something I could do myself ?

I'm a pretty handy guy and I do like taking things apart and seeing how they work......

I just don't want to mess something up even more than it already is.
Cleaning pots is definitely something you can do yourself. If they're not sealed, it's real easy. You can just blast some compressed air in there and then hit it with some Deoxit. If they're sealed you'll need to pull them apart, but that's not terribly difficult either, it just takes longer.
http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/fixingscratchypots.html

The important part is to keep yourself safe while working on the amp. Tube amps store quite a lot of charge even after being unplugged and you need to be careful not to touch the filter caps or anything directly connected to them. There's a lot of information online about how to work on amps safely - a little googling will help you inform yourself on the proper safety.

That's a good place to start. If you still have a problem after that, you might need new pots, which is also quite easy.
Quote by Roc8995
Cleaning pots is definitely something you can do yourself. If they're not sealed, it's real easy. You can just blast some compressed air in there and then hit it with some Deoxit. If they're sealed you'll need to pull them apart, but that's not terribly difficult either, it just takes longer.
http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/fixingscratchypots.html

The important part is to keep yourself safe while working on the amp. Tube amps store quite a lot of charge even after being unplugged and you need to be careful not to touch the filter caps or anything directly connected to them. There's a lot of information online about how to work on amps safely - a little googling will help you inform yourself on the proper safety.

That's a good place to start. If you still have a problem after that, you might need new pots, which is also quite easy.

Thank you very much for the info !! The link to the article you posted looks pretty helpful.

I don't have much going on later today so I may just try and attempt this myself now