Hi, I'm 17 years old and I'm starting up a new band. Here's the thing:

I'm better at bass than am I am with guitar, but it seems like if I want to be in a "real" (a band which creates original music) band that I'd have to play guitar/sing as there aren't any available rock/metal singers here where I am located. Should I still go for the role as frontman/singer/guitarist? I figured it's easier to find a bassist than a singer.

It's hard to invest in better gear when I don't even know my role in the band. I figured I'll wait to buy equipment until I have a solid band going and therefore an "excuse" to spend money on good gear. I have about 2000 € waiting to be spent.

My influences are musicians like James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine (to some extent) and Tony Iommi (even though he doesn't do vocals), so the guitar/vocals role is something I could get into. I don't think I'd be able to sing and play Iron Maiden songs (Bruce Harris is a huge inspiration to me). I don't want to play bass and sing, though it's something I'd consider as an option if I really have to, as I admire (for example) Lemmy Kilmister.

TL;DR: Suck my unit and read the thing, you have all the time in the world.

Do you see this working out for me?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
It depends, are you a good singer? If yes, play bass and sing, finding a guitarist will be quite easy, and he might even be better for the part than you, and finding a bassist is usually very difficult. However, if you are not a good singer, pick guitar or bass, and look for a singer. It might be a good idea to look for a the entire band, and take singing lessons on the side if you can. The reason behind this is that the singer is one of the most, if not the most important part of the band. If I ever entered an audition room and the singer was bad, I would not play with that band again, and putting up with a bad singer messes a lot of bands up.

If you're a bassist, always consider joining a band of a similar style, some will need a bassist at some point.
Why don't you want to play bass and sing? Surely it'd be the better option as you're better at bass than guitar? Good singers, bassists and drummers are hard to come by. Guitarists are a dime a dozen. At least that's my personal expereince.
Quote by G-Dog_666
Why don't you want to play bass and sing? Surely it'd be the better option as you're better at bass than guitar? Good singers, bassists and drummers are hard to come by. Guitarists are a dime a dozen. At least that's my personal expereince.

Yep, this. You can have your cake and eat it this way.

You'll be able to find a guitarist no probs and if theyre shit therell be ten more waiting to take his place
Well, if you think it will be hard to find a singer to suit your style, then you should be the bassist/singer since you are: 1) playing the instrument you're more comfortable with and 2) singing in the style you want.

Besides, bands like Rush and The Police have singers that play bass. Also, guitarists and drummers will be much easier to find then bassists.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Well, if you think it will be hard to find a singer to suit your style, then you should be the bassist/singer since you are: 1) playing the instrument you're more comfortable with and 2) singing in the style you want.

This.

If I were you, I would first look for what players you can find, than you decide what to do.
Since there are a lot of (good) guitar players in every town, I think that if you're better at bass you should find 2 great guitar players and be the bass player.
Than if you find a good singer you do only bass, if you don't you sing and play bass.
My issue is twofold:

One, you should play the instrument you're more excited to play, and/or the instrument you're best at. Guitarists are far more common than bassists, it should be very easy to find one.

Singers are trickier, because for the most part the personality of the singer becomes the personality of the band. The moment you bring in a singer, the character of your band changes, dramatically. So I think it's relatively easy to find A singer for your band, it may be rather hard to find one who fits what you want well enough that you don't mind giving up that much of the band's character to him.

Which is a long way of saying, if you're not comfortable singing you might want to make that something you work on.
Quote by HotspurJr
One, you should play the instrument you're more excited to play, and/or the instrument you're best at. Guitarists are far more common than bassists, it should be very easy to find one.

I'm more excited about guitar at the moment. And it's true that guitarists are easier to find around here, but I'm hoping for luck.

Singers are trickier, because for the most part the personality of the singer becomes the personality of the band. The moment you bring in a singer, the character of your band changes, dramatically. So I think it's relatively easy to find a singer for your band, it may be rather hard to find one who fits what you want well enough that you don't mind giving up that much of the band's character to him.

I understand what you mean. I think (I don't want to brag, just give you an honest idea about my personality) that I'm good to play with, I play the songs right, and I consider myself an intermediate guitarist and I think that I'm a good bandmember. As for the "band image" I'd as a frontman would be giving I think I'd be good for that as I'm not a dick and I'm quite humble.

Which is a long way of saying, if you're not comfortable singing you might want to make that something you work on.

Yes, I see. It's very uncomfortable for me to sing, but I hope I'll get over that.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.