For the past 4 years I have been using my laptop for recording and mixing. I am a university student and primarily rely on SD2 and amp sims for most of my stuff so ram and cpu get fairly overloaded on my C2D 2.13 4gb@1066 laptop. It also feels like an oven. So I am building a desktop now

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Mid Tower
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
ZOTAC ZT-40701-10L GeForce GT 440
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLHX 150GB

Comes out to about 750 minus shipping.

I typically dont have many projects going on at the same time and rely on two backup 1TB external drives for storage which is why I opted for the 150gb 10k drive.
Will be overclocking the i5.

Looking for general comments or suggestion on the build. Also want to know if reaper will benefit from ram above 1600. This seems to be the upper limit for most other applications.
That is a good build.

I recommend thiswith Artic 5 to cool your computer as it is quiet (idk know how loud heat sink is that comes with i5 since I have an AMD build) and it will keep your computer very cool if overclocking. Make sure you get a disc drive btw lol.
Looks solid. RAM above 1600 isn't worth the extra cash in my experience, you're better off using that money to get more.

And out of curiosity, would a SSD be helpful at all? I'd make the OS load faster but past bootup times I'm not sure what they'd really help with. Worth looking into if you just need a small fast drive.

EDIT: If you're OCing definitely get an aftermarket cooler. I have the precursor to ^that one, thing's a monster.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Feb 16, 2012,
I'd probably go with an SSD over the 10k RPM drive, personally. You should be able to get an SSD at the same price as that HDD you're looking at, with the same amount of storage.

If you can spring for a little extra, I'd go for the i7 2600 over the i5, though. I've never heard of ZOTAC or ASRock, but there's so many new graphic card and mobo manufacturers on the market now. They seem to get decent reviews.

I'd definitely go with 16GB of RAM if you can swing it. It shouldn't be too much more.

Honestly, your build is similar to a Hackintosh in specs. You might want to look into building from proven specs on those and setting up a dual boot system, if you need Windows still.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
will reaper/plugins take advantage of the hyper threading on the i7? Granted i probably wont have the extra 100 bucks to get the i7.

as for ssd's arent there lifetime issues if I used it as a primary drive? The motherboard has an esata port, would I have performance issues if I used my 1tb drive (its a glyph external) via esata as my secondary drive and then the ssd as a boot/app drive?

Money wise, less is better. Which one should i go for?

i will be definitely buy another 8gb kit later on.
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Feb 16, 2012,
I have almost that exact build. I can almost guarantee you you will never need more power than that. Even with tons and tons of tracks with effects going at once, the 2500k just chews it up. Fantastic processor.