Hey UG,

I played a HDRIII today and I really loved it but I can't afford the IIi but can buy an original USA model for £400.

What's the difference tonally between the original and HDRIII? I know the specifics but I don't understand it really.

Couldn't find any comparison videos so I need the help of you!

Thanks in advance, Li
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
The old USA hot rods have better build quality in my experience. However, they sound pretty inferior to the III's if you ask me. A lot of it has to do with the redone drive channel and speaker swap they did in the III's. If fixed a TON of issues the hot rod models I and II had with their low end.
I second Strats&Cats. The III's have an upgraded speaker and the drive channel is a hair different. I had an easier time dialing it in at lower volumes too. The III's sound better and have a better balanced EQ on the same settings as opposed to the previous models, but they are all fantastic amps. Cosmetically, the control panel plate is black instead of chrome (apparently for better contrast on dark stages).

You could always get a series I or II and drop a better speaker in it down the road...
I will probably do the speaker swap down the road.

One last question, are the cleans comparable? I personally don't care about the drives
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
I will probably do the speaker swap down the road.

One last question, are the cleans comparable? I personally don't care about the drives

Yes, the clean channels of the two are very similar. However, the cleans of the models I and II have a TON of low end that you won't really be able to get rid of. Don't get me wrong, I still think it gives a fantastic clean tone, but I would really recommend the speaker swap.
Eh I wouldn't say it has a TON of low end. Maybe if you crank the bass. But having the bass low and lifting the amp up off the ground make the bass sound fine. It's an amp you should be lifting off the ground anyway. It projects so much better that way. I really like the cleans on mine. Like most, I tend to stay away from the drive channel. But the amp takes pedals well.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You can mod an old one to be far superior to an unmodded new one in every way imaginable.

You should always stick a combo on top of something. An angled amp stand is best but the good ol' reliable milk crate will work fine too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification