I need a combo amp for band practice, and small gigs as my head and cab are a nightmare to take all the time.

I was going to wait till late in the year to purchase one, but I know my backs going to break if I don't! I don't have the money right now, but I could get one on finance.

Who here buys their amps brand new? I've never bought anything new apart from my guitar about 5 years ago.

Cheers, Luke.
Nah, used gear is the way to go, on another note - any reason you couldnt just buy a small 112 cabinet and transport your head back and forth? That would be easier than carrying a combo, I hate carrying these combo's around..
I know eminance makes some pretty high wattage speakers cause the only thing i would be careful of is cranking a 100watt head into a 30 watt 112 cabinet. (numbers used just for refrence) Just make sure your cabinet can handle the power of your amp or just practice volume control, =)
Put it this way.

buy guitars new if you have to.

buy amps second hand if you can.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
No its not.

Being unable to use a volume knob is stupid.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm with the idea on just getting small cab to leave at your practice spot (used, of course). A lone head is much easier to carry than most combos, and you'll be able to get your usual sound. A decent used 1x12 ischeaper than decent used combo as well.
stand your 212 on its side and it takes up the same floor space as 112....?

you dont need to buy a new amp for a few pub gigs unless your going to make a killing from it mate.

if you want a new amp, you want a new amp, get one, but just decide what you want because people on the web have tried countless times and your either not listening or your not thinking about what you want.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I'm with the idea on just getting small cab to leave at your practice spot (used, of course). A lone head is much easier to carry than most combos, and you'll be able to get your usual sound. A decent used 1x12 ischeaper than decent used combo as well.

Yeah I'm with you here...leave it at my practice spot would be ideal.
I buy everything used, from my rig to my car to my underwear.

The only time I bought brand new was an overpriced prestige that I took a pretty large hit on when I sold it.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by Tom 1.0
stand your 212 on its side and it takes up the same floor space as 112....?

you dont need to buy a new amp for a few pub gigs unless your going to make a killing from it mate.

if you want a new amp, you want a new amp, get one, but just decide what you want because people on the web have tried countless times and your either not listening or your not thinking about what you want.

That won't make a difference. I have an old Laney cab.

I'm not after making money from anything. Just for my convenience and to have nice tone.

I know I've been suggested amps numerous times, but each time, theres another that hasn't been suggested, and gives me a broader idea of what is avaliable to me. I know what I want, and its a matter of trying the 3 or 4 out when I'm next in London.

This is not a question on "What amp", but a question asking whether it is actually worth buying an amp NEW.
I prefer buying used, but I will buy new if something is on sale.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
The only new amps I have ever owned have been ones I built myself. However, as I am a tech capable of doing his own repairs I am probably atypical.

In my experience it's small stages where you need to turn up the loudest because you are sitting on top of the drummer. The drummer is what sets your volume level.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As others have said, score a 1x12 cab and call it a day. It's a lot easier than carrying around the 2x12 and the head and, to be honest, will probably still be easier than carrying around a 1x12 combo amp as well considering you aren't getting a tiny little confined 1x12 with no cabinet space. Plus, it'll most likely sound better because it'll be the sound you've been playing with all along for the most part. Plus, it's cheaper.

Oh and for me, my rule of thumb is ALWAYS shop for amplification used and, if worse comes to worst (and I mean absolute worst) go for new. But still, I'd never truly buy new a new amp, especially not when they're usually half their new price when they're being sold secondhand. For example, I got my 5150 212 for 500 bucks and it's in great shape (doesn't have the little panel on the back over the power tubes but I take it off for the most part anyone to fiddle with the insides so no biggie). Beats spending 1200 on a new 6505 212. As a matter of fact, besides my first guitar I learned on, every piece of gear I have is used (except for my Prestige, but I got it new at a used price and lucked out). Just keep your eyes out for a deal. It might take some time, but it's better than settling and being bummed/screwed that you spent 1K+ on an item you eventually find for 500 bucks.

Amps: Always used
Guitars: Used if it's all in order and the price is right, then new if you really can't find what you want.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
I wouldn't say it's always best to go used with amps. For example, there isn't much of a used market for the Egnater Vengeance, especially in my are (there is literally none). Buying my amp used wasn't possible. Also, I didn't have all the money for my amp when I bought it, I went with a payment plan because I needed it now for gigs, but couldn't afford it all at once until later.

So, if you DO buy new, it better be either because you can't buy the amp used yet, because you need to do payments because of time constraints, or because you're buying something custom made/boutique.

Other than that, go used.