So im a big In Flames fan and they play alot of stuff in drop A# but they use a 6 string. When I tune my 6 string that low, it just doesnt sound or feel right. Im in the market for a new electric and I though a seven string may be the way to go. Id prefer to stay with the 6 strings but A# seems awfully low.... input?
Always Rock!
Baritone
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thicker strings bro

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Go to a guitar shop and ask. These low tuning things can really mess your neck up.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Quote by gynther flynt
Go to a guitar shop and ask. These low tuning things can really mess your neck up.

What?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
i use ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms? think theyre good enough for this?
Always Rock!
Quote by s12k17
i use ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms? think theyre good enough for this?

10-50 isn't heavy enough for drop A, but it depends on your scale length.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
10-52 actually. im actuallynot sure what my scale length is... its on an epiphone sg. (probably gunna be upgrading in the summer tho)
Always Rock!
Yeah 24.75 with 10-52 is not nearly heavy enough for drop A.

i use 10-52 as well. But i play in D.

for drop A, have a look at Rotosound 12-64. Reason being is that your scale length is really short, so you need enormous strings. Also, with a tuning that low and a scale length that short, you could have intonation problems. You may need to have the nut re-cut as well
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 16, 2012,
I saw a video where a guy used 7-string guitar strings in a 6-string guitar and only used the bottom 6 strings. If you try that it might work out for you.
No one has commented on this except the first guy, but if you are going to get another guitar, get a baritone.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Screw the thicker strings and longer scale, you need one of these!

Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
If you really want to go for a baritone, try one first. You might not like the longer scale length (makes reaching frets and bending a bit more difficult, etc.). But my personal advice is get heavier strings, drop A# is not low enough to justify getting a baritone IMO. Bjorn and Jesper use 25.5" scale length guitars and I'm pretty sure their new guitar player does too. I'd go for 12-60s and Bjorn uses these gauges according to Wikipedia: .12, .16, .22, .38, .52, .68

EDIT: I had strings as big as 12-60s on my guitars without having to file the nut. All you will need to do is adjust the truss rod and the intonation, as you should do anytime you switch string gauges.
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Last edited by jbab at Feb 16, 2012,
im gunna sound like a total noob here but, how would i go about adjusting the truss rod and intonation properly? Ive never actually done it.......
Always Rock!
For your question of wanting a new guitar, get a baritone. (PRS Mike Mushok maybe?)

To save yourself some cash, throw some thicker strings on, maybe go to a tech and get your truss rod adjusted for the thicker strings.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Maybe I'm crazy; but I play a schecter hellraiser in drop a with 9-46. I use to use 12-60 ernie ball not even slinkys, but now im using DR Neon strings.