edit: so I decided to get a new Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 instead of a used beater off Craig's List. I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Now I just need to learn how to play it!

All I know's a few chords (A, C, D, E, F, G, Am, Dm, Em). What's next?
Last edited by Caspid at Feb 20, 2012,
Go with the Epi.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Personally i'd say the washburn, better guitar, better offer, easier to collect ;D. They're both entry level acoustics so i wouldn't say there's much between em but you're bound to get a better build quality from washburn . Also when it says the strings need to be changed on the epiphone it's no big deal and would probably also need to be done with the washburn too. As for questions to ask before buying i'd just ask about the general condition of the guitar and perhaps just check it out before you hand over the cash. Hope the helps
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
take the washburn, it's cheaper
start buying expensive equipment when you're getting really into it and wanna continue playing music.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
go with the washburn, it has a solid top, it's cheaper and it's closer. i've played a few washburn guitars and they were all nice to play, even the lower end ones. epiphones, i can't say the same about.

worst case scenario you can put it back up for sale and get your money back out of it.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
The newer Epi J-200 models are pretty decent in quality and tone, not so in the E VS version. Of the two, I would go with the Washburn.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
The "better guitar" part is my main concern.
I've googled reviews for both; all positives.
I do prefer the look (headstock, sunburst) of the epiphone, but that matters less than quality/tone.

The 1hr20min trip is worth almost $15 in gas; I'd rather pay $20 for shipping tbh, but it still comes out cheaper and the trip does allow me to check it out before buying.

Thank you all for the input. I'll inquire into the Washburn.
Quote by Caspid
The "better guitar" part is my main concern.
I've googled reviews for both; all positives.
I do prefer the look (headstock, sunburst) of the epiphone, but that matters less than quality/tone.

The 1hr20min trip is worth almost $15 in gas; I'd rather pay $20 for shipping tbh, but it still comes out cheaper and the trip does allow me to check it out before buying.

Thank you all for the input. I'll inquire into the Washburn.

online reviews are 90% shit. especially on low end stuff. very few people who know what a really good guitar feels and sounds like cares to write a review about an entry level guitar. That's why you'll see 3000$ martins/taylors/gibsons with a 9.2 rating and 300$ epiphones/ibanez/yamahas with an 8.9. The qualities are obviously miles further apart than that, but the people rating the expensive guitars have higher expectations than the people rating the low end guitars.

If you want an accurate review, find one on youtube, skip the part where the guy talks about the guitar and just listen to how it sounds when he plays it.

Epiphone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df4QReqyA20

Washburn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rj1P6qbw3Ng#t=22s
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
If you're a noob then you might want to bring along a friend who's an experienced guitarist. That way you can hear what the guitar can really do. Experienced guitarists will also be able to see imperfections you might not spot. When I made my first guitar purchase (which I'm still happy about), I brought my dad's coworker who had been playing for about 30-35ish years.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
I've tried listening to YouTube vids, but as a complete beginner, it's hard for me to tell with the differences in recording equipment, room acoustics, volume, playing, etc. What exactly should I be listening for?

Yeah, I plan on bringing my friend, if he's up for the trip.
You should be listening to what sounds good to you. it's the second most important factor, but it's about all you can decide on before actually getting your hands on the guitar. The first most important factor is how comfortable it feels, especially the neck. but at the point of driving an hour and a half to see it, you're pretty much committed. I'd buy it regardless unless it's in rough shape, and sell or trade it when you get home if you really aren't liking how it feels.
Quote by stepchildusmc
I know a guy who has an entry level Washburn, it's pretty solid.

I haven't heard anything positive about the Epiphone acoustics.

I would go with the Washburn.

Road trips ftw.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by mike_oxbig
online reviews are 90% shit. especially on low end stuff. very few people who know what a really good guitar feels and sounds like cares to write a review about an entry level guitar. That's why you'll see 3000$ martins/taylors/gibsons with a 9.2 rating and 300$ epiphones/ibanez/yamahas with an 8.9. The qualities are obviously miles further apart than that, but the people rating the expensive guitars have higher expectations than the people rating the low end guitars.

If you want an accurate review, find one on youtube, skip the part where the guy talks about the guitar and just listen to how it sounds when he plays it.

Epiphone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df4QReqyA20

Washburn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rj1P6qbw3Ng#t=22s

Agreed. If anyone is interested in learning WHY people value what they own more than anything else, check here. (Specifically the free-choice paradigm)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

As for your two guitars, consider making a decision matrix, seen below.

http://pmtips.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/decision-matrix.jpg

Substitute the cars with guitar models, the attributes on top with guitar variables (sound, cost, body style, appearance, distance...) and the (.15, .45 etc) below the variables with your own weights, not to add up to more than 1. Should be able to figure out the rest.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
its a first guitar.... grab either one. once you get used to it and develop an ear for playing, you'll be able to discern between whats good and whats crap. if you stick with playing, you'll upgrade in a little while anyway. either one's gonna drop pantuies if you know how to use it.
Good advice, thanks all. I'm still kinda torn between investing a moderate amount (~$200 new) on something decent that I can keep for posterity (solid top that ages and is a pleasure to learn on), but I do see the logic in my first venture being anything playable that stays in tune.
Last edited by Caspid at Feb 18, 2012,
Can't comment on the epi (never played one), but I do have a washburn (Oscar Schmidt). It's a solid, well built guitar, that sounds very good. If you like the sound of it, I'd go with the washburn.
Alright, after several deals falling through, I caved and got a new Seagull Entourage Rustic S6 (on sale at GC for $290+tax) for my birthday. I figured I might as well make the learning experience as enjoyable as possible, and it's something I'll probably keep for the rest of my life (esp since it opens up with age/play). It's comfy and the best-sounding guitar in the store <$500, and I love the mellower cedar tone. I'm happy

Even though I ended up going in a completely different direction, thanks for all the help/advice!
I have an art & lutherie that's pretty damn similar to that, and while it's been cursed to live a life of getting ignored at home and abusively passed around the campground like a 17 year old drunk white girl, it's still something that is enjoyable to play and hear. i think you made a good decision, happy birthday/new guitar day
Quote by stepchildusmc
Really what? Did I really buy a new $300 guitar when I was hesitant about spending more than $100 used? yes.. lol