I have had my guitar for 3 weeks. It is an Epiphone G-400 in alpine white. Yesterday the output jack fell into the guitar when i took out instrument cable the and i am unable to amplify it at all. Am i able to exchange it for another SG or something of the same value? Im not looking to fix it myself as im a novice when it comes to those things and i just want to get another one, so what is Guitar Center's exchange policy? If it matters i felt like something was a little off on the guitar and left everything on it. Has all the Epiphone stickers and even the stock strings.
Last edited by ToastyWaffles41 at Feb 16, 2012,
On the back of the guitar there is a black plastic cover. Take off this cover using a Philips head screwdriver. Next, take the jack and put it back in the hole, then take the nut and screw it onto the threads of the jack. Honestly, you want to exchange a perfectly fine guitar because you can't screw a nut on? You have no problem solving skills bro, no problem solving skills.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
On the back of the guitar there is a black plastic cover. Take off this cover using a Philips head screwdriver. Next, take the jack and put it back in the hole, then take the nut and screw it onto the threads of the jack. Honestly, you want to exchange a perfectly fine guitar because you can't screw a nut on? You have no problem solving skills bro, no problem solving skills.

This. If it happens again then the nut holding the jack might be stripped (happened to my Epi). You can get a new one that will last longer for practically nothing.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Umm. I dont really want to open up the guitar myself, nor pay somebody else to do it if it's still in the 30 day returnable range i guess i could say? I was just wondering on the exchange policy because i would be most comfortable with just getting another one.
Quote by ToastyWaffles41
Umm. I dont really want to open up the guitar myself, nor pay somebody else to do it if it's still in the 30 day returnable range i guess i could say? I was just wondering on the exchange policy because i would be most comfortable with just getting another one.

You literally only have to unscrew the backplate, put the jack socket back in place and tighten the nut up. Absolutely no technical knowledge or experience necessary. It'll take ten minutes, absolute tops.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Bring it to the store and have them fix it under warranty, unless you just don't like the guitar.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by Paddy McK
You literally only have to unscrew the backplate, put the jack socket back in place and tighten the nut up. Absolutely no technical knowledge or experience necessary. It'll take ten minutes, absolute tops.

+1. Thats all GC would do anyhow.
You really ought to just unscrew it and diy. Its bound to happen again without a locking washer so you should know how easy it is to address this issue.

If you really want I'll make a YT vid showing you how. Its very easy.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Feb 16, 2012,
Just put it back on yourself. Are you going to want to exchange it if a string breaks too?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Link to a youtube vid on how i could do this?? I would like something to follow as i do it. Could you find one done with an sg shape too? Or just a gibson shape. I know les pauls have the same type of back plate
Just unscrew the back plate, put the jack in it's hole, and screw the nut onto it. It's pretty easy to do. Easier than changing strings, and just as easy as adjusting pickup height.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Most_Triumphant

this. they come loose all the time really, not a hard fix at all
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
hotmail has informed me that my last warning has just expired. just in time for this thread.

....are you ****ing kidding me? you want to return your guitar over this?

take out 4 screws on the big black plastic pannel on the back of your ****ing guitar, put the ****ing jack back in the hole, put the ****ing washer back on the jack (on the outside of the guitar, durrrrr), put the ****ing nut back overtop of the washer, turn it to the ****ing right until it's firmly in place, then run and tell mommy that you no longer have a screw loose.

Here i'll draw you a ****ing picture tutorial using ascii characters

~~==o
this is the jack

O
This is the hole

~~==o O
~~==o O
~~==oO
~~==Oo

this is me putting the jack in the hole

I'm fairly sure that my 1 year old daughter could do this with minimal difficulties.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by mike_oxbig
hotmail has informed me that my last warning has just expired. just in time for this thread.

....are you ****ing kidding me? you want to return your guitar over this?

take out 4 screws on the big black plastic pannel on the back of your ****ing guitar, put the ****ing jack back in the hole, put the ****ing washer back on the jack (on the outside of the guitar, durrrrr), put the ****ing nut back overtop of the washer, turn it to the ****ing right until it's firmly in place, then run and tell mommy that you no longer have a screw loose.

Here i'll draw you a ****ing picture tutorial using ascii characters

~~==o
this is the jack

O
This is the hole

~~==o O
~~==o O
~~==oO
~~==Oo

this is me putting the jack in the hole

I'm fairly sure that my 1 year old daughter could do this with minimal difficulties.

OMG that was hilarious. very ****ing entertaining. thanks : )
Well i said thanks. Meaning i fixed it. But since so many of you seem so concerned with me wanting to exchange it before, do you even know GC's exchange policy? If you do please share so someone who actually comes to this thread will actually find some useful information from this, other than that simple fix And anyways, im starting to question keeping this G-400 cause of this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-50th-Anniversary-1961-SG-Special-Outfit-Electric-Guitar-H74556-i2330187.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB
I don't know their return policy, but I will say that you should try a guitar with P90s before you buy one. They're a whole different beast than other pick ups. It seems like everyone I know either loves them or hates them. There doesn't seem to be an opinion that's indifferent.
Quote by L2112Lif
GC's return policy is 30 days... no questions. Just return the guitar in the same condition you recieved it with everything it came with.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by ToastyWaffles41
I have had my guitar for 3 weeks. It is an Epiphone G-400 in alpine white. Yesterday the output jack fell into the guitar when i took out instrument cable the and i am unable to amplify it at all. Am i able to exchange it for another SG or something of the same value? Im not looking to fix it myself as im a novice when it comes to those things and i just want to get another one, so what is Guitar Center's exchange policy? If it matters i felt like something was a little off on the guitar and left everything on it. Has all the Epiphone stickers and even the stock strings.

You have 30 days to return/exchange the item ( unless it's a clearance piece ), 60 days if you opt for the accidental damage plan.

To be honest with you, I had an Epiphone Les Paul and an Ibanez GAX70 that both did that habitually, I ended up having to put extra washers in it or something. What Guitar Center do you shop at? I would recommend taking it back to them and seeing if they have an in-house Guitar Tech that could help you fix it. If you honestly feel that the guitar was just "off' call the store first and explain the situation, tell them you realize it is a brand new guitar but you just don't feel comfortable with it.
I went over to GC during the President's day weekend sale and got an Epiphone 1961 SG reissue. I really like it but i was wondering what could i do to beef up my sound to play heavier genres and maybe make it sound a little fuller playing clean. The reissue has p90s so yeah. Im going to put some Dunlop Heavy Core strings on it. What else should i try? :O
Quote by mike_oxbig

~~==o
this is the jack

Nice jack
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by ToastyWaffles41
I went over to GC during the President's day weekend sale and got an Epiphone 1961 SG reissue. I really like it but i was wondering what could i do to beef up my sound to play heavier genres and maybe make it sound a little fuller playing clean. The reissue has p90s so yeah. Im going to put some Dunlop Heavy Core strings on it. What else should i try? :O
Wtf... you exchanged the guitar for a P-90 guitar with a wraparound bridge and want to play heavier genres? You basically just took a giant step backwards....

There is really not anyhting you can really do except maybe stick an overdrive in front of the amp for heavier overdrive. Otherwise, use the neck and middle positions for your clean sound if you want to make it fuller.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 25, 2012,
Just read the whole god damn thread. Wtf. Dude, do some research before you jump on a guitar. I'm not saying that P90s can't do heavier music but they just aren't geared toward it. Humbuckers will work much better and there are much more alternatives if you were ever to upgrade. Read about tone woods, humbuckers, ask before you buy things sometimes. I'm all about go and play it and get a feel for it but man....
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]

SERIOUSLY? Oh man you're gonna go far kid

EDIT: I'm actually stickying this.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Last edited by Nico the Great at Feb 25, 2012,
OP, there is this thing called Google...please use it...also, always try before you buy. If you really like the P90s and still want heavier tone, buy a nice OD pedal or fiddle with your amp.

and GC has a pretty good return/exchange policy from what I've experienced. I brought in an acoustic guitar with a crap factory setup (some frets were lifted off the fretboard) and they exchanged it no questions asked
The humbuckers on the g-400 gave crap clean tones. The p90s suited that better. Im not saying all im going to be playing is heavy oriented stuff, but when i do i want it to sound good as well.
If you have a perfectly working guitar and that's your only issue, then get it fixed. It's just not worth swapping out the entire guitar for something you can easily have fixed or fix yourself.

Personally I think it's a good idea to try to fix everything before you take it in. What's the worst that could happen? Still taking it in?