I began teaching myself to play guitar during the summer as I had to sell my drums due to lack of space. I'm picking it up fine, it seems to come quite natural to me, but I've hit a brick wall in terms of how to progress. I've taught myself songs using Youtube and UG, and I have been through and learned the main major and minor chords. I have also learned finger speed/strength exercises, but at the minute I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over and not progressing. Should I keep learning more songs or should I learn more chords? All suggestions deeply appreciated, I just want to get better. Thanks
I would say learn a couple of scales Major/minor pentatonic are a great place to start as they're heavily used in most genres. The maybe the natural major/minor scales and the blues scale. You could also start to build up a couple of techniques like harmonics, muting and legato
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that