So I was browsing craigslist approximately 20 minutes ago and found an ad for a guy selling a PA system. I'm not looking for one to do gigs with, just one so our singer can finally be heard at practice.

250 watt P.A. Stereo Power Amp -Realistic model MPA 250, w/ illuminated power switch / volume controls/clipping indicator, 125 Watts rms- 350 watts bridged (mono), mix bus jack to connect to another amplifier source, stereo/ mono selector, feedback filter control for live performance, fan cooled w/4 xlr mic inputs,4 1/4 in mic inputs,stereo cd /aux inputs,eq in/out, rack mountable w/ front and back carrying handles, excellent for stage and studio
Microphone: Audio Technica AT2020 Studio mic w/cord, like new, w/wind screen, mic stand.
Speakers : Powered Sub Woofer -Dual L10SW/L12SW 220 watts peak/100 watts rms.
2 RCA tower stereo speakers, excellent sound, (VERY LOUD) ( 1 foot wide by 3 1/2 feet high) , handles 250 watts each.

The guy wants $250 for all of this, do you guys think this is something I should inquire about or pass it off? Also, sorry if its the wrong section, I couldn't think of anywhere else for this to go.
Obviously Fassa.
The amp appears to be a relatively cheap radio shack brand amplifier. There's a few of them on ebay right now, and the only one with any bids is currently at $0.99 It may be enough if it's just for vocals though.

Those RCA speakers being only 1' wide means they are probably equipped with 10" speakers. Not ideal, but for just vocals it would probably be ok.

I've never used that mic, so not sure about the quality.

The sub seems to be a budget model with mixed reviews. From what I could gather, it looks like it has a 12" speaker, which isn't too bad. Though, most subs designed for use with a PA system will have 15-18" speakers, and about double the wattage. But again, for just doing vocal work... you may not even need the sub.

I don't think I'd pay anything over $200 for that whole setup.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Save your money...

Get something you can rely on..

[edit] sounded a little crass... didn't mean for it to...

If your practicing at the moment, do you have plans on playing out in the future? If so, it'd be best to get something that you can perform with... doesn't have to be a 5000 watt set of amps and a 48 channel mixer either...

In my area, I've seen on craigs list guys selling older non powered mixers 12 channels for a hundred bucks... That with a respectable set of powered speakers, and you've got a PA... Then, when your ready to upgrade, $350.00 gets a decent 1500 watt amp, a few hundred for some passive speakers and you can still use the powered speakers for monitors... Mic's aren't expensive... GOOD mic's are expensive... Musicians friend has a set of 3 shure pg48's and 3 mic stands for $119.00... I've got them... use them every weekend.. had em over a year now and they still work fine..

Deals are out there... but.. you get what you pay for...

Yamaha, Mackie, Peavey.. decent stuff for the money...

Stay away from Behringer if you plan on moving your equipment... it doesn't travel well..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Feb 17, 2012,
You didn't sound crass man, we do play out some but all the places we go already have their own PA systems. Anything I should definitely look out for though for a good deal?
Obviously Fassa.
Quote by Rock In Rio
You didn't sound crass man, we do play out some but all the places we go already have their own PA systems. Anything I should definitely look out for though for a good deal?

Well, it was a rough day, so it kinda sounded like I was being short.. eh.. It's Friday

Well, ..... Brands that I've used for a lot of years... are Peavey and Yamaha mostly for my small PA gear.. my First one was a Kustom 4 channel 300 watt .. (bad move... but it was 1980...LOL)

One great way to go is a Package, especially for practice... I did that.. Got a Yamaha 500 watt, 12 channel powered mixer and a set of 1x15 speakers with stands, I think it cost me around 800 bucks... We use that whole system for our monitors now plus a couple of 12 inch wedges that I picked up for a hundred bucks on craigs list... it works fantastic.. Still use it for practices well.. tomorrow in fact..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-emx512sc--a15-pa-package/485225000000000

Sounds expensive "OMG a grand for a PA?" but if you keep it together, even in a couple of years you can sell it as a set and make some of your money back... This is what I got, but there are cheaper solutions out there too..

Peavey puts out some packages that are really good for the money..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-xr-8300--pr-15-pa-package/631376000000000

I'd recommend at least a 15 inch speaker cabinet... In my opinion they just sound better, but.. Go to a good sized music store that allows you to hear the speakers or the system as a whole... Perhaps a 12 inch speaker will be enough...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
What kind of budget do you have? The PA I have was about $1000, but that's for a PA with enough channels and power to mic up a full band, including drums. Look at Carvin (that's the brand I have). They have some very reasonable PA packages. And if you're only concerned with using it for vocals at practice, you could really get away with one of their smaller systems and be fine.

This is one example of a full package they have....

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=XP800L-PM12&cid=101

It's got 2X 250W RMS amps so you can drive each speaker at full rating, as opposed to that one you were looking at which is most likely a single 250W amp driving 2 speakers. The speakers in that package are 12", which are decent. I also prefer 15's for a PA, but a pair of 12's with a horn would be fine for vocals only. That whole package for $670 isn't a bad deal for brand new gear.

Another option would be like papa bear said, grab a cheap unpowered mixer off CL and get some powered speakers.

Yet another option would be a cheap unpowered mixer, some cheap used unpowered speakers, and a power amp.

It all depends on what you can find on your local used market. You may be able to piece a system together off CL that would be way better than what you can buy new, and definitely better than the one you originally posted.

EDIT: Forgot to mention if you want a good mic, be prepared to spend some cash. I used a few different "budget" mics, and was very frustrated with all of them. Horrible proximity effect, bad noise rejection, very "boomy" if you got too close. I picked up a shure beta 58, and it sounds 100X better than all the cheapo mics I used. It set me back about $160 for one mic, but I'd rather have one great mic than 6 crappy ones. The Carvin mics are one of the brands I used that were just not good. They are probably OK for some applications, like speaking, etc, but are not great mics for singing.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 18, 2012,
you'd probably be ok for practice with that pa, but I wouldn't expect much out of it other than an audible sound.
Are yu sure the RCA's are PA speakers, or are they home stereo speakers?

As far as mics go, Shure SM 57/58 are as cheap as I use $100 new, or $40ish used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate