So I decided that my next amps are going to be the GH100 and VH100 from Laney. I love the clean sound from the GH and the crunch from the VH100. So I have a a few questions.

1). I've been looking and I can't a price on them. I look at the website but nothing or I missed it. Can anyone give me a rough price for both plus a cab.

2).Is if I use the gh100 for the clean and vh for lead and stuff, how would I hook it up so I can use a foot switch to go back and forth. Example: I would play a clean part with some chorus and delay then play rhythm or a solo with lots of distortion.

Thanks in advance!!
just buy the vh100r. new they are 1399$ roughly, used ive found them to be around 700. the lead channel is the same as on the gh
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
The VH is the same as the GH, but with an extra channel and more options concerning effects-loop(s). So if you get a VH, there is no point in getting the GH, since the VH basically already contains the GH.

As far as switching goes, the VH comes with a four-button foot-switch. Since each channel has it's own effects-loop, you can put the chorus and delay in the clean channel's loop. That way, when you switch to the overdrive-channel, these effects will be ignored by the amp.

The price around here is slightly below 1200€ for a VH.

EDIT: Cab prices may vary; I would advise you to get something that is not equipped with Celestion Vintage 30s. I used to run those with my GH50L (which is very very similar) and didn't like the sound until it was seriously loud. Greenbacks (or anything along those lines) or more bass-heavy speakers like Eminence Swamp Thangs work better with it in my experience.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 16, 2012,
Alright thanks it going to take a few months to save the money but I am going to pick one up might sell my randall for some more cash but dont know yet.
Pretty sure you have the GH and VH confused. The VH has the cleaner cleans since the GH is only a single channel. That being said, they aren't all that different aside from the VH being 2 channels. Great amps none-the-less.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
well I listened to the demos off their website but I am going with the VH when I get the cash.
you wont be disappointed in the Laney, they are really great amps, and like everyones said, the VH is just a 2 channel GH, youll love it
Agile AL-3110 Tiger Eye
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star Snow Leopard
Schecter C-1 Classic Blue
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser T-O-M BC
LTD EC-1000 Bright Blue Flame
Bugera 333xl
Laney GH-100L
Laney LC30-II 112
Laney GS212PE w/ V30s
Genz Benz G-Flex 412
I have the GH and it is awesome. I would like a VH, but i don't have a need for it. The VH has an extra pre-amp tube i think.
Now as for cabs should I get the cab that is made for it or would another cab work fine like a marshall. Cause I have a Randall RH150 head and matching cab right now. So I dont really know about mixing different amp heads and cabs.
^ do you have a link to the specs of your cab?

i'd probably get a different cab- most of the laney cabs have celestion 70/80s, which aren't great. teh pro cab has vintage 30s, which as already said, probably aren't the optimum match (although are good speakers). the lionheart cab is pretty sweet, but is only rated at 60 watts so wouldn't be safe with the vh100r (and considering how expensive those speakers are, you probably wouldn't want to risk it- i use the 50 watt GH so I'm ok).

Quote by TheQuailman
The VH is the same as the GH, but with an extra channel and more options concerning effects-loop(s). So if you get a VH, there is no point in getting the GH, since the VH basically already contains the GH.

As far as switching goes, the VH comes with a four-button foot-switch. Since each channel has it's own effects-loop, you can put the chorus and delay in the clean channel's loop. That way, when you switch to the overdrive-channel, these effects will be ignored by the amp.

The price around here is slightly below 1200€ for a VH.

EDIT: Cab prices may vary; I would advise you to get something that is not equipped with Celestion Vintage 30s. I used to run those with my GH50L (which is very very similar) and didn't like the sound until it was seriously loud. Greenbacks (or anything along those lines) or more bass-heavy speakers like Eminence Swamp Thangs work better with it in my experience.

+1

i use mine with heritage g12h30s (55Hz version) and it sounds badass. i also have a v30 cab, and while it still sounds "good", i prefer the tone with the g12h30s.

Quote by LaidBack
Pretty sure you have the GH and VH confused. The VH has the cleaner cleans since the GH is only a single channel. That being said, they aren't all that different aside from the VH being 2 channels. Great amps none-the-less.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That cab doesn't have the greatest speaker, though construction seems alright. It would be expensive, but you could replace the speakers, if you went with eminence it would run you about three for a set of awesome speakers, give or take a little. Also, how do you like the rh150? I had the 50, which was all tube. Yours has a solid state power amp doesn't it?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
so if I did replace the speakers what would be some good options? I like to play old megadeth Iron maiden to yngwie neo-classical stuff.

As for my rh 150 I like it for my first real amp. It has enough bass but not to much so it woofs. I use a tube screamer to give me more mids.For a solid state amp it has good gain and can get loud if I crank it up.
I would say something greenback esque, if you go to the eminence sight, they should have some characteristics of each speaker. I would check out warehouse guitar speakers too, they are cheap, and sound pretty great. Sorry, I am not familiar with what speakers would sound good for that type of stuff, my music taste is a little more modern.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I like modern stuff too like the bands from japan, Galneryus and Versailles and lot of paul gilbert and shred type music. I just want some good speakers that will give me the clarity even with high gain and effects. which I would only use delay and chorus and maybe phase or flange.
thanks

i haven't tried that cab either, but if it's plywood construction (assuming it's made well, which might be a big assumption) it'll probably sound alright with better speakers. just buying 4 speakers gets expensive very quickly- check some prices of plywood cabs which already have known good speakers, and see how much they go for.

if you swap speakers you'll have a bigger choice, but if it's a false economy...

also would be worth emailing eminence for advice. they've been very helpful any time i emailed them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is a bit tricky. For Iron Maiden you could get away with Greenbacks (or stuff that is similar: Eminence Private Jack and GB12, Warehouse Green Beret). Note that these speakers aren't all that popular for more modern tones (except for very few instances). The GB12 handles heavier tones a bit better than the other ones (imo), but it's still hardly optimal. But if you're going to focus on the more classic tones, it's an option.

For Megadeth or modern metal, Celestion Vintage 30s would be the standard. But like I said earlier, I don't like the combination of those and the VH. I have not tried the following, but the Eminence Governor and Warehouse Veteran 30 are supposedly copies of the Vintage 30 that are a bit tamer, so they likely would suit the amp better. I have no experience with these two speakers, but descriptions from the manufacturers and people who have used them suggest that they might be worth looking into in your situation.

Another approach would be choosing a speaker that's sort of in-between the two extremes above. Dunno, an Eminence Wizard maybe? I'm a bit lost here.

Fourth option: A Celestion G12K100 or Eminence Swamp Thang. They do modern high-gain tones easily and while they don't have as much character as something Greenback-ish, they're still passable for classic tones (plus they have a huge low-end, which suits the VH nicely). That'd be my personal choice if I wanted to do a lot of high-gain with a VH.

Also, like Dave said, this could turn out to be false economy. Replacing four speakers will be pricey. I'd consider selling your cab, then using the money (and some extra on top) to get something that's maybe smaller, but of good quality with better speakers. You could get a custom one made (Avatar is a popular brand for that in the States) and then install whichever speakers you choose.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 18, 2012,