Poll: Would you have a long distance relationship with someone?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you have a long distance relationship with someone?
Yes
56 48%
No
44 38%
I'll never have a relationship
16 14%
Voters: 116.
Page 1 of 2
Who's done it? It is as bad as they say? Is it worth it? Discuss the pro's and con's of long distance relationships. Go!
I've done it. Well, my gf wanted to and I didn't have the stones to tell her I didn't want to. It was pretty bad. You move on when you're around other people and the long distance relationship just holds you back.
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth.
I've not done it, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I wouldn't prefer it, of course, but if it happened...I'd make the best of it.
I'm in one right now and yes, it's just as bad as everyone makes it sound. You really have to have a goal if you want it to work, and you both need to be on the same page emotionally. Girlfriend and I are talking about marriage, and we're even having an extremely hard time with this. It's just constantly stressful, but if you think it's worth it then go for it.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
I accidentally clicked yes when I wanted to say no.
Long distance is like dating a high school kid when you've just started university.
It holds you back from everything else
I did it, now I'm engaged and she's moving here in 3 months.

Successkid.png
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Extra Ordinary
I accidentally clicked yes when I wanted to say no.
Long distance is like dating a high school kid when you've just started university.
It holds you back from everything else

Which only losers do anyway.
Went out for 2 years. Girlfriend moves 7-8 hour train journey away. Still went out for another year.

The whole long-distance thing worked out, we broke up for other reasons.
Did it for 8 months when my girlfriend moved back to Finland, before I moved here to live with her.

I've now happily lived here for 14 months.

She was 1000+ miles away. A 2 hour train journey to the airport, 3 hour flight then 2 hour drive to her place.

If you want it to work, there is absolutely no reason why it wouldnt/wont/cant.
Last edited by sam b at Feb 16, 2012,
Quote by sam b
If you want it to work, there is absolutely no reason why it wouldnt/wont/cant.

This. As long as you can afford the travelling. That was the hardest part for me.
One benefit I found was I was never more into a girl once I finally saw her. Best sex ever!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
I was 4 hours away from my girlfriend this past summer and it sucked. All the same drama but way less of the sex.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Not worth it. Tried it once when the girl was about 3 hours away, and we could only see each other on weekends.

Nothing but a waste of everyone's fucking time.
It's one of those things that just isn't for everyone. I understand why people say that long distance relationships are a bad idea, and they often can be, but some people can make it work. Just gotta know yourself, your relationship, etc.
I did when we went to colleges about 7 states apart. It sucked a lot, but it wasn't the reason why we broke up. If you guys want to be together, then it should work, but in all honesty I'd advise against it if you're in college.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I've done it. Not worth it. Not not not not not worth it. Not unless you can actually meet up with them and you both are totally committed.

In which case it is worth it, so your statement is wrong.
I've had two, though when I say long-distance I mean less than 2 hours. First girl was more like 20 minutes by car, but I was 16 and I didn't drive so it was a little more complicated and when we did see each other, it was for limited hours which I didn't like. 2nd girlfriend was an hour on train and another half hour on a bus, I was crazy about her but she dumped my ass last month. Still waiting on a reason why, but bleh. I'd do it again though
Quote by SilverSpurs616
2nd girlfriend was an hour on train and another half hour on a bus, I was crazy about her but she dumped my ass last month. Still waiting on a reason why, but bleh. I'd do it again though

That sucks dude

I got dumped back in April, and got an email 2 weeks ago finally telling me all the reasons why. It was a bit weird to read.
Haven't done it...

But How I Met Your Mother says this is no good at all. So, I'll never do it.
i'm in one now, girlfriend lives about 4 hours away because we attend different universities. i personally don't really have a problem with it (i just try to be happy i even have a girlfriend haha), but i know she has a lot of problems with it. but we're both happy and in love and all that good stuff and we'll both be back in our hometown for the summer, so it'll be worth it
twitter: @ljg35

Xbox Live (CoD MW3, Halo 4, NHL 13): ljg 01 Adler
Quote by CoreysMonster
Not worth it. Tried it once when the girl was about 3 hours away, and we could only see each other on weekends.

Nothing but a waste of everyone's fucking time.

+1

I did exactly that for almost a year. Massive waste of time and money all round tbh
Quote by sannielaina
I've done it. It sucks unless you're within two hours or so of each other.

I was fine with 5 modes of transport, hundreds of pounds and around 9 hours travelling for 8-9 months

All for around 5-9 days together every 1-2 months
I have several long-distance interpersonal relationships, but I have no faith in a long-distance romantic relationship.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
I'd stay away from it. It's a painful ordeal. Some people can do it, but I think on the whole it's a tough thing to pull off.
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
Quote by sam b
I was fine with 5 modes of transport, hundreds of pounds and around 9 hours travelling for 8-9 months

All for around 5 days together every 1-2 months

I guess it also depends on the people involved. In my experience, it hasn't worked out for me very well, so congrats to you (:
True.

Like I said before, if you really want it to work, it will.

I wanna spend my life with this girl. If I had to only see her 5 days every 50 days, so be it
..and I did

The pit is full of horny teens who want their end away, so a load of "omg wil nevur wourk" comments should really have been expected, to be fair
Quote by sam b
True.

I wanna spend my life with this girl. If I had to only see her 5 days every 50 days, so be it
..and I did

The pit it full of horny teens who want their end away, so a load of "omg wil nevur wourk" comments should really have been expected, to be fair

I had two, and I never got to see the guy, so I'm kind of hesitant about it...
I wish I had your luck xD
Quote by sam b
True.

..and I did

The pit is full of horny teens who want their end away, so a load of "omg wil nevur wourk" comments should really have been expected, to be fair

I thought I wanted to spend my life with the girl I had a long-distance relationship with, but that's one of the reasons why LDR are wastes of time: You can think "Man, this is it, this is the one", but spending 35 days out of a year with her, you'll not be spending enough time together to truly know that. LDRs tend to keep illusions up for a long time that would be immediately shattered if you were really spending extended periods of time together.

Not saying that it "can't work, ever", but only in extremely rare cases.
I guess it helped that we essentially lived together over the summer so we could learn each other's faults.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by whoomit
That sucks dude

I got dumped back in April, and got an email 2 weeks ago finally telling me all the reasons why. It was a bit weird to read.

... post the email. I wanna read it. Do it whoomit. I'll love you forever, and stroke your groin upon your command.
Yes i've done it. Would i do it again? Maybe, not for a long time.

A bunch of very complicated shit happened that i can't be bothered to type up, it would be essay length, but everything went wrong beyond my control and it has ruined me to this day. Go ahead and make fun of me about how much of an idiot you think i was if you like.

This thread is depressing as hell.
When I left for uni, I wasn't convinced by the people saying that LDR don't work and tried it anyway.

It is terrible, difficult and I regret every minute of it...
Quote by trainspotted11
What about an international LD relationship?

Currently in one.
England -> Canada.

Wouldn't advise it to any/everyone. It's not easy, it's not anywhere near the same as a regular relationship. You have to approach it completely differently, but when you do and you both realise that, it's fine and just another thing to work towards. I'm committed and I hope it does work out. Just a waste if it doesn't.
Page 1 of 2