Hello,

My acoustic is due for a string change, but the air where I live is pretty dry, around 30% humidity. Will there be any damage to the guitar if I change the strings now, as opposed to waiting a month for the weather to warm up?

Thanks in advance for the advice
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
Changing the strings will cause no harm, but keeping it at under 35% RH will, with enough time, cause the wood to dry out, which can cause a host of problems. Optimal RH is around 50%.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by Mishakuz
Hello,

My acoustic is due for a string change, but the air where I live is pretty dry, around 30% humidity. Will there be any damage to the guitar if I change the strings now, as opposed to waiting a month for the weather to warm up?
I get in trouble for saying that it makes a difference whether or not you take all the strings off one at a time, or all at once.

That behind me. If you're not comfortable about the weather or whatever, change your set one string at a time.

Whether or not it makes a difference is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, the tension on the neck remains closer to constant, when you change one string at a time.

So, whether it's a crutch, a comfort, or an unnecessary operation, doesn't matter. If it gives you the confidence to make the swap, it can't hurt.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 16, 2012,
Well, I've been putting a humidifier (i.e. wet sponge) in the case, and it seems to be making the humidity issue better.

From what you're saying, I guess it's OK to change the strings now. I usually change the strings one at a time anyway.

The other thing is, I think my fretboard is getting a bit dry. It doesn't interfere with my playing at all. Does the fretboard usually become less dry when the humidity increases in the Spring? I was wondering if it's necessary to actually wipe it with oil, or can I leave it alone? I would rather not use oil on it since the guitar has a fancy inlay, and I don't want to gunk it up.

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
You're supposed to oil the fretboard every 6 months with "Lemon Oil". (It's mostly mineral oil. As long as you don't get carried away with oiling the board, you won't cause any problems.

You're going to apply it, then wind up wiping most of it off anyway.

This seems less primitive as humidification systems go, and it's not expensive: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-acoustic-guitar-humidifier/420552000000000

Tack it onto a string order or something.
cranky changes strings like indiana jones steals bags of gold
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Yep, that humidifier is exactly what I have! I also got the hydrometer. I think I'll change the strings in the next couple of days, and then wait until the summer to apply oil to the fretboard.

EDIT: Also, is there a brand of lemon oil that you would recommend?

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40