Yep exactly. They just help so you don't have to push down as hard which helps with the speed.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362
Korg DTR-2000
Ibanez Tubescreamer
I think they are supposed to help with bends.

you have to push down just as hard to get a note on scalloped and non scalloped necks. So they don't help speed.

Some necks have scalloped frets higher on the neck for solos, but not at the bottom. This is because they are just for soloing, i.e. where you would usually do more bending and stuff...

I dont use them though...
---
Last edited by Robfreitag at Feb 16, 2012,
Really? I would say that the lack of having to press down on the neck with force would significantly increase speed imo.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362
Korg DTR-2000
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Quote by Bastard Son
Really? I would say that the lack of having to press down on the neck with force would significantly increase speed imo.

The distance between the strings and the frets is the same, whether a neck is scalloped or not. Therefore, it has no influence on how hard you have to press.

Scalloping does reduce the fingers' contact with the fretboard, which I guess some people find helps their playing.
The pressure to depress the string is the exact same, scalloped or not.

What you get is less friction -- specifically the friction of the pad(s) of your fingers on the fretboard. The more significant the scallop, the less your finger pads will touch the fretboard. It's all about speed and ease of bends.

The first time I tried a scalloped guitar it was waaaaaaaaay too fast & slinky for me.

I play jumbo frets now though. Not nearly as dramatic, but you can definitely feel the difference between them and smaller frets.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Bastard Son

If anything they're harder to play and slow you down if you're not familiar with them. If you press the string down onto the fretboard you will go sharp and out of tune. The whole aim is to keep your finger pad off the fretboard for a lighter touch, however that helps you out.

I've played two different guitars with a scalloped fretboard and just couldn't click with it. Too lavish for me I guess
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
i have only played one, didn't like it. if you aren't used to it (like i wasn't) its easy to put just a tinge more pressure on the fret and make the note go sharp, bends are really nice though.

are they useful for some players? yes.
guitarists that are neoclassical? probably would not be a terrible thing.
are they for me personally? hell no.

its preferences.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Flux'D
If anything they're harder to play and slow you down if you're not familiar with them. If you press the string down onto the fretboard you will go sharp and out of tune. The whole aim is to keep your finger pad off the fretboard for a lighter touch, however that helps you out.

I've played two different guitars with a scalloped fretboard and just couldn't click with it. Too lavish for me I guess

A thousand times this... It's not a magical BPM-boost, the same as that 'triggers' don't make a drummer insanely fast.
Quote by Y00p
A thousand times this... It's not a magical BPM-boost, the same as that 'triggers' don't make a drummer insanely fast.

Similar to so many things, isn't it? Giving a person the fastest motorcycle/car doesn't make him faster -- often times slower.

I know for me the Fender Custom Shop Yngwie Malmsteen model I played was completely out of my league/comfort...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
True in a sense, yes, everything has a learning curve.

But, I'm willing to bet (and I think 'he' actually said this himself) Yngwie is just as fast or maybe even faster on a regular neck.

note I'm not an Yngwie fan by any means.