As this is a little different from my other current thread I thought I would start a new one to get some discussion going...

What should I upgrade, should I go ahead and buy the Squier Classic Vibe 60s? What would you do first to make it a better guitar? Say go from a pot metal trem block to a full steel block to enhance sustain or would this make things worse? What about the electronics such as the pots and what not? Fire away guys!
Well, if you're planning on upgrading alot of things, why not just get a better guitar for the price?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Not a lot of things just mainly I guess the bridge and electronics. Which don't appear to be too expensive to do.
The very first thing I would upgrade is the nut, I like Graph Tech (they're pre-slotted so you can just drop'em in there) . Then I'd get some new pickups, but that depends on what you want to play (the stock ones may well be perfectly fine). I personally would put in a Hot Rails/Vintage Rails/Cool Rails combo. Obviously coil splits for all three. The bridge and machine heads should technically be fine, however some locking tuners wouldn't hurt. I don't think changing the trem block would make much of a difference, but you could try. That's about it.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
The only things I would bother to change are the nut and the bridge block. I'd stick in a full-size solid brass block (slightly warmer tone than steel, helps as the CV Strats tend to be fairly bright-sounding) and a bone or graphite compound nute. The electronics in the Classic Vibes is fine and the bridge and tuners are fine so long as you set them up properly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i had a question, why do people replace the nut on the guitar as an upgrade? One of the guitars i have among the upgrades he did he put in a graphite nut. I guess i don't know what the function of a different one would do? don't they either work or not?
- Not being sarcastic, honest question.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
i had a question, why do people replace the nut on the guitar as an upgrade? One of the guitars i have among the upgrades he did he put in a graphite nut. I guess i don't know what the function of a different one would do? don't they either work or not?
- Not being sarcastic, honest question.

Improves tuning stability.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Replacing the nut is msot commonly done to improve tuning stability, yes, but it can also be done to change the tone of the guitar. Different nut materials will give different tones, and most stock nuts are hollow so even just replacing it with a solid one can lengthen sustain noticably. Also, a lot of stock nuts are not cut for optimal string height and sometimes it's easier to just replace the nut than it is to have the existing nut re-cut (and if the current not has its slots cut too low or too wide then replacing it is the only option anyway).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ah, thanks for the replies guys. Makes sense.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I'm thinking about replacing the input jack on mine, the little nut seems to always come loose. I might also swap out the bridge later this year. I like the stock pickups, so I don't plan on changing those any time soon. The guitar seems to stay in tune well.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
Thanks for the input guys! For the price of most of these upgrades it still for me ends up being cheaper then going to a higher spec'd Fender of some sort so thanks again that really helps!